DALLAS (NCBWA) – The The National Collegiate Baseball Writers
Association (NCBWA) released the Pro-Line Cap National Player of the
Week awards for the period ending March 13. Georgia Tech junior right
fielder Jeremy Slayden was named National Hitter of the Week, while
TCU junior RHP Lance Broadway and N.C. State sophomore RHP Gib
Hobson were named National Co-Pitchers of the Week. The NCBWA Board
reviews candidates from each Division I Conference each week and names winners
each Tuesday throughout the season.
Slayden hit .786 (11-for-14) with four home runs and 17 RBI in four games
to lead Georgia Tech to a perfect 5-0 record last week. The Murfreesboro,
Tenn., native led Tech to wins over William & Mary, Georgia Southern and
a three-game sweep of Wake Forest. For the week, he posted a 1.714 slugging
percentage and a .850 on base percentage.
On Tuesday against William & Mary, Slayden went 4-for-4 win two home
runs and six RBI. He followed that with a 3-for-5 performance, including
a home run and three RBI against Georgia Southern. After missing the opener
of the Wake Forest series with a sprained ankle, Slayden went 3-for-3 with
a home run and a career-high eight RBI on Saturday against Wake Forest.
He was 1-for-1 with a walk and two HBP in the series finale on Sunday.
Broadway threw a complete-game, three-hitter in a 2-1 win at No. 7 Rice
on Friday night. He struck out eight and walked three, while not allowing
an earned run. Broadway did not surrender a hit after the fifth inning and
didn't have more than one runner on base after the second.
Hobson pitched the first no-hitter by an N.C. State pitcher in 12 years
Saturday, against Maryland at home. The Pfafftown, N.C., native retired
the first 12 men he faced and 17 of the first 18, walked four and struck
out 11, a career high for Hobson and a season high for any N.C. State pitcher
this year. The Terrapins' one run was unearned, the result of a walk and
an error. The no-hitter was the first by a Wolfpack pitcher since Terry
Harvey no-hit Florida State on March 28, 1993.
With this week's honor, Broadway and Hobson automatically are named to
the watch list for Roger Clemens Award, given to the national collegiate
pitcher of the year, sponsored by the Greater Houston Baseball Organization.
The Fort Worth-based Pro-Line Cap Co. supplies the official cap to more
than 100 Division I college teams. This is the first season Pro-Line has
sponsored the NCBWA's Players of the Week. The sponsorship provides for
plaques to be awarded to each of the weekly winners and other promotional
consideration. For more information about Pro-Line, visit their website
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college
baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of
the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit the association's
official website, www.ncbwa.com.
2005 Pro-Line Cap Players of the Week:
• Feb. 8: Grant Rembert, Elon (Hitter); Erik Averill, Arizona State (Pitcher)
• Feb. 15: Scott Bridges, Arkansas (Hitter); Brian Bogusevic, Tulane (Pitcher)
• Feb. 22: Drew Stubbs, Texas (Hitter); Taylor Fowler, Arkansas State (Pitcher)
• March 1: Kurt Eichorn, Kent State (Hitter); Tyler Chambliss, Florida State (Pitcher)
• March 8: Matt Wieters, Georgia Tech (Hitter); J.C. Biagi, Centenary (Pitcher)
• March 15: Jeremy Slayden, Georgia Tech (Hitter); Lance Broadway, TCU and Gib Hobson, N.C. State (Pitcher)
• March 22: Alex Gordon, Nebraska (Hitter); Luke Hochevar, Tennessee (Pitcher)
• March 29: Josh Rodriguez, Rice (Hitter); Brent Gaphardt, Delaware (Pitcher)
• April 5: Mike Baxter, Vanderbilt (Hitter); Max Scherzer, Missouri (Pitcher)
• April 12: Dusty Bensko, Illinois (Hitter); J. Brent Cox, Texas (Pitcher)
• April 19: Mike Costanzo, Coastal Carolina (Hitter); Adrian Alaniz, Texas (Pitcher)
• April 26: Brandon Taylor, BYU (Hitter); Ricky Brooks, East Carolina (Pitcher)
• May 3: Doug Beck, Utah (Hitter); Matt Maloney, Ole Miss (Pitcher)
• May 10: J.R. Kyes, Illinois (Hitter); Brad Lincoln, Houston (Pitcher)
• May 17: Justin Beam, Pacific (Hitter); Jeff Denlea, Hofstra (Pitcher)
• May 24: Craig Cooper, Notre Dame and Adam Tucker, Birmingham-Southern
(Hitter); Lance Broadway, TCU (Pitcher)
• Pro-Line Cap to sponsor NCBWA Players of the Week
• Pro-Line Cap Player of the Week plaques