DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association
(NCBWA) released the Pro-Line Cap National Player of the Week awards
for the period ending Feb. 27. Kent State outfielder/designated hitter
Kurt Eichorn was named National Hitter of the Week, while Florida
State sophomore RHP Tyler Chambliss was named National Pitcher of
the Week. The NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference
each week and names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Eichorn hit three home runs and drove in eight runs in the Golden Flashes'
2-1 weekend at Winthrop's tournament. The Gallon, Ohio, native opened the
tourney with two home runs and four RBIs in a win over Illinois, the second
of the two homers driving in the game-winning runs. He then drove in two
runs on a triple against Wagner. The junior closed out the weekend with
a 2-for-4 performance in a win over No. 21 Winthrop. His two-run homer that
helped KSU turn an 8-0 deficit into an 11-10 victory. In three games, Eichorn
hit .417 (5-for-12) with three home runs, a triple, eight RBIs and five
runs scored. He also had a 1.333 slugging percentage. Named MAC East Division
Player of the Week.
Chambliss recorded a win or a save in three of Florida State's four wins.
The Live Oak, Fla., native did not allow a hit or run in 4 2/3 innings over
three games. He struck out seven of the 14 batters he faced this week. In
his win vs. Stetson, Chambliss came into to a 4-4 game in the eighth with
the bases loaded and one out. He got the Hatters' designated hitter watching
strike three and preserved the tie on a foul out to the catcher. He needed
just four pitches to end the threat. After FSU took the lead in the top
of the ninth, Chambliss closed out the win by facing just four batters.
In the second Stetson game, FSU took a 7-6 lead in the top of the eighth
bringing the closer into the game. He needed just 23 pitches and faced only
six batters in the final two frames to pick up his fourth save of the year.
After getting a game off, Chambliss closed out a 4-1 win over Appalachian
State on 11 pitches in the ninth for his fifth save of the year.
With this week's honor, Chambliss automatically is named to the watch
list for Roger Clemens Award, given to the national collegiate pitcher of
the year, sponsored by the Greater Houston Baseball Organization.
The Fort Worth-based Pro-Line Cap Co. supplies the official cap to more
than 100 Division I college teams. This is the first season Pro-Line has
sponsored the NCBWA's Players of the Week. The sponsorship provides for
plaques to be awarded to each of the weekly winners and other promotional
consideration. For more information about Pro-Line, visit their website
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college
baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of
the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit the association's
official website, www.ncbwa.com.
2005 Pro-Line Cap Players of the Week:
• Feb. 8: Grant Rembert, Elon (Hitter); Erik Averill, Arizona State (Pitcher)
• Feb. 15: Scott Bridges, Arkansas (Hitter); Brian Bogusevic, Tulane (Pitcher)
• Feb. 22: Drew Stubbs, Texas (Hitter); Taylor Fowler, Arkansas State (Pitcher)
• March 1: Kurt Eichorn, Kent State (Hitter); Tyler Chambliss, Florida State (Pitcher)
• March 8: Matt Wieters, Georgia Tech (Hitter); J.C. Biagi, Centenary (Pitcher)
• March 15: Jeremy Slayden, Georgia Tech (Hitter); Lance Broadway, TCU and Gib Hobson, N.C. State (Pitcher)
• March 22: Alex Gordon, Nebraska (Hitter); Luke Hochevar, Tennessee (Pitcher)
• March 29: Josh Rodriguez, Rice (Hitter); Brent Gaphardt, Delaware (Pitcher)
• April 5: Mike Baxter, Vanderbilt (Hitter); Max Scherzer, Missouri (Pitcher)
• April 12: Dusty Bensko, Illinois (Hitter); J. Brent Cox, Texas (Pitcher)
• April 19: Mike Costanzo, Coastal Carolina (Hitter); Adrian Alaniz, Texas (Pitcher)
• April 26: Brandon Taylor, BYU (Hitter); Ricky Brooks, East Carolina (Pitcher)
• May 3: Doug Beck, Utah (Hitter); Matt Maloney, Ole Miss (Pitcher)
• May 10: J.R. Kyes, Illinois (Hitter); Brad Lincoln, Houston (Pitcher)
• May 17: Justin Beam, Pacific (Hitter); Jeff Denlea, Hofstra (Pitcher)
• May 24: Craig Cooper, Notre Dame and Adam Tucker, Birmingham-Southern
(Hitter); Lance Broadway, TCU (Pitcher)
• Pro-Line Cap to sponsor NCBWA Players of the Week
• Pro-Line Cap Player of the Week plaques