DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association
released the Pro-Line Cap National Player of the Week awards for
the period ending May 16, today.
junior first baseman/designated hitter Josh Dew was named
National Hitter of the Week, while Houston junior right-handed pitcher
Brad Lincoln was named National Pitcher of the Week. The NCBWA
board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference each week and
names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Dew had an outstanding weekend at UALR, blasting four home runs,
including three in one game, and driving in 11 runs. He posted a .533
batting average and a 1.400 slugging percentage. In Friday's game, the
Montgomery, Ala., native, had a solo homer, a two-run homer and a grand
slam in Troy's 17-7 victory. He also had a double off the top of the
wall in center. Dew also homered on Sunday and was the winning pitcher,
working five innings with five strikeouts.
In a game featuring two of the premier pitchers in the country on two
Top 10 teams, Lincoln came out on top. The Clute, Texas, native posted
his second shutout of the season to end No. 1-ranked Rice's 17-game
conference winning streak. He allowed only five hits and struck out nine
while walking only two in tossing his third complete game of the season.
Lincoln retired the first 10 batters that he faced and 20 of the first
23 in improving to 11-1 and recording his 10th straight win.
With this week's honor, Lincoln automatically is named to the watch
list for Roger Clemens Award, given to the national collegiate pitcher
of the year, sponsored by the Greater Houston Baseball Organization.
The Fort Worth-based Pro-Line Cap Co. supplies the official cap to more
than 100 Division I college teams. This is the second season Pro-Line has
sponsored the NCBWA's Players of the Week. The sponsorship provides for
plaques to be awarded to each of the weekly winners and other promotional
consideration. For more information about Pro-Line, visit their Web site
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college
baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of
the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit the association's
official Web site, www.ncbwa.com.
For more information on the Pro-Line Cap Players of the Week, contact
Mike Montoro at the
University of Southern Mississippi at 601-266-5947.
2006 Pro-Line Cap Players of the Week:
• Feb. 14: Aaron Luna, Rice (Hitter); Nick Schmidt,
• Feb. 21: Chris Swauger, The Citadel (Hitter);
Barry Enright, Pepperdine and Brad Furnish, TCU (Pitcher)
• Feb. 28: Kyle Russell, Texas (Hitter); Rodney
Brantley, Dallas Baptist (Pitcher)
• March 7: Luke Hopkins, New Mexico State (Hitter);
Joba Chamberlain, Nebraska (Pitcher)
• March 14: Chris Gradoville, Creighton (Hitter);
David Price, Vanderbilt (Pitcher)
• March 21: Kellen Kulbacki, James Madison (Hitter);
Daniel Best, Southern Miss and Miles Morgan, Texas Tech (Pitcher)
• March 28: Trey McDaniel, Western Carolina (Hitter);
Christian Friedrich, Eastern Kentucky (Pitcher)
• April 4: Andy D'Alessio, Clemson (Hitter); Tim
Lincecum, Washington (Pitcher)
• April 11: Reid Fronk, North Carolina (Hitter);
Adam Ottavino, Northeastern (Pitcher)
• April 18: Pedro Alvarez, Vanderbilt (Hitter);
Mike Ballard, Virginia (Pitcher)
• April 25: Case Cassedy, Furman (Hitter); Brooks
Brown, Georgia (Pitcher)
• May 2: Emeel Salem, Alabama (Hitter); Bobby Blevins, LeMoyne (Pitcher)
• May 9: Jacob Dempsey, Winthrop (Hitter); Nick Jones, Oral Roberts (Pitcher)
• May 16: Josh Dew, Troy (Hitter); Brad Lincoln, Houston (Pitcher)
Pro-Line Cap Player of the Week plaques