DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association
released the Pro-Line Cap National Player of the Week awards for
the period ending May 2, today.
Alabama junior outfielder Emeel Salem was named National
Hitter of the Week, while LeMoyne junior right-handed pitcher Bobby
Blevins was named National Pitcher of the Week. The NCBWA Board
reviews candidates from each Division I Conference each week and names
winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
a native of Mountain Brook, Ala., had a phenomenal week at the plate in
leading the Crimson Tide to a 3-1 record in four games and its sixth SEC
series win this year. In four games, he batted .765 (13-for-17) with 12
runs scored, 12 extra base hits, three stolen bases and two RBI. He
compiled a whopping 1.294 slugging percentage (22 total bases) last week
and an .818 on-base mark (reached base 18 time in 22 plate appearances).
He scored the winning run in all three Crimson Tide wins against UAB and
Auburn (2 times). In the series win over arch-rival Auburn, Salem batted
.727 (8-for-11) with eight runs scored, eight extra base hits, two
stolen bases and one RBI.
Blevins set and then re-set the program strikeout record with 32 K's
in a pair of two-hit shutouts. Currently 7-2 with a 2.17 ERA, the
Briarcliff, N.Y., native struck out 14 in a two-hitter against Saint
Peter's (12-0) on Monday, and fanned 18 in a two-hit shutout over
Canisius (6-0) on Saturday. Blevins walked just one batter in each win.
With this week's honor, Blevins automatically is named to the watch
list for Roger Clemens Award, given to the national collegiate pitcher
of the year, sponsored by the Greater Houston Baseball Organization.
The Fort Worth-based Pro-Line Cap Co. supplies the official cap to more
than 100 Division I college teams. This is the second season Pro-Line has
sponsored the NCBWA's Players of the Week. The sponsorship provides for
plaques to be awarded to each of the weekly winners and other promotional
consideration. For more information about Pro-Line, visit their Web site
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college
baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of
the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit the association's
official Web site, www.ncbwa.com.
For more information on the Pro-Line Cap Players of the Week, contact
Mike Montoro at the
University of Southern Mississippi at 601-266-5947.
2006 Pro-Line Cap Players of the Week:
• Feb. 14: Aaron Luna, Rice (Hitter); Nick Schmidt,
• Feb. 21: Chris Swauger, The Citadel (Hitter);
Barry Enright, Pepperdine and Brad Furnish, TCU (Pitcher)
• Feb. 28: Kyle Russell, Texas (Hitter); Rodney
Brantley, Dallas Baptist (Pitcher)
• March 7: Luke Hopkins, New Mexico State (Hitter);
Joba Chamberlain, Nebraska (Pitcher)
• March 14: Chris Gradoville, Creighton (Hitter);
David Price, Vanderbilt (Pitcher)
• March 21: Kellen Kulbacki, James Madison (Hitter);
Daniel Best, Southern Miss and Miles Morgan, Texas Tech (Pitcher)
• March 28: Trey McDaniel, Western Carolina (Hitter);
Christian Friedrich, Eastern Kentucky (Pitcher)
• April 4: Andy D'Alessio, Clemson (Hitter); Tim
Lincecum, Washington (Pitcher)
• April 11: Reid Fronk, North Carolina (Hitter);
Adam Ottavino, Northeastern (Pitcher)
• April 18: Pedro Alvarez, Vanderbilt (Hitter);
Mike Ballard, Virginia (Pitcher)
• April 25: Case Cassedy, Furman (Hitter); Brooks
Brown, Georgia (Pitcher)
• May 2: Emeel Salem, Alabama (Hitter); Bobby Blevins, LeMoyne (Pitcher)
• May 9: Jacob Dempsey, Winthrop (Hitter); Nick Jones, Oral Roberts (Pitcher)
• May 16: Josh Dew, Troy (Hitter); Brad Lincoln, Houston (Pitcher)
Pro-Line Cap Player of the Week plaques