DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association
released the Pro-Line Cap National Player of the Week awards for
the period ending March 7, today.
Mexico State sophomore first baseman Luke Hopkins was named
National Hitter of the week, while Nebraska junior right-hand pitcher
Joba Chamberlain was named National Pitcher of the Week. The NCBWA
Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference each week and
names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Hopkins, who hails from Albuquerque, N.M., played in four games last
week and hit .667 (10-15) with 17 RBI and scored 10 runs for the Aggies.
He was 5-for-6 with six RBI against New Mexico and 3-for-5 with five RBI
in the first game against Northern Iowa on Friday. On Sunday, he was
1-for-1 with five RBI, including a grand slam in the win over Northern
Iowa. For the week, Hopkins was also walked six times (four
intentionally), hit three doubles and two home runs. It is Hopkins's
third career WAC Player of the Week award.
Chamberlain, a native of Lincoln, Neb., was dominant against Notre
Dame, holding the Fighting Irish to just three hits over seven innings.
He posted his second-straight double-figure strikeout effort with a
season-high 11 Ks, including six of the first 11 hitters he retired in
order. He needed just 89 pitches to get through the seventh and left
with NU ahead 10-0.
With this week's honor, Chamberlain automatically is named to the
watch list for Roger Clemens Award, given to the national collegiate
pitcher of the year, sponsored by the Greater Houston Baseball
The Fort Worth-based Pro-Line Cap Co. supplies the official cap to more
than 100 Division I college teams. This is the second season Pro-Line has
sponsored the NCBWA's Players of the Week. The sponsorship provides for
plaques to be awarded to each of the weekly winners and other promotional
consideration. For more information about Pro-Line, visit their Web site
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college
baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of
the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit the association's
official Web site, www.ncbwa.com.
For more information on the Pro-Line Cap Players of the Week, contact
Mike Montoro at the
University of Southern Mississippi at 601-266-5947.
2006 Pro-Line Cap Players of the Week:
• Feb. 14: Aaron Luna, Rice (Hitter); Nick Schmidt,
• Feb. 21: Chris Swauger, The Citadel (Hitter);
Barry Enright, Pepperdine and Brad Furnish, TCU (Pitcher)
• Feb. 28: Kyle Russell, Texas (Hitter); Rodney
Brantley, Dallas Baptist (Pitcher)
• March 7: Luke Hopkins, New Mexico State (Hitter);
Joba Chamberlain, Nebraska (Pitcher)
• March 14: Chris Gradoville, Creighton (Hitter);
David Price, Vanderbilt (Pitcher)
• March 21: Kellen Kulbacki, James Madison (Hitter);
Daniel Best, Southern Miss and Miles Morgan, Texas Tech (Pitcher)
• March 28: Trey McDaniel, Western Carolina (Hitter);
Christian Friedrich, Eastern Kentucky (Pitcher)
• April 4: Andy D'Alessio, Clemson (Hitter); Tim
Lincecum, Washington (Pitcher)
• April 11: Reid Fronk, North Carolina (Hitter);
Adam Ottavino, Northeastern (Pitcher)
• April 18: Pedro Alvarez, Vanderbilt (Hitter);
Mike Ballard, Virginia (Pitcher)
• April 25: Case Cassedy, Furman (Hitter); Brooks
Brown, Georgia (Pitcher)
• May 2: Emeel Salem, Alabama (Hitter); Bobby Blevins, LeMoyne (Pitcher)
• May 9: Jacob Dempsey, Winthrop (Hitter); Nick Jones, Oral Roberts (Pitcher)
• May 16: Josh Dew, Troy (Hitter); Brad Lincoln, Houston (Pitcher)
Pro-Line Cap Player of the Week plaques