DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association released its National Player of the
Week awards for the period ending May 5. Oregon freshman third baseman
Mitchell Tolman was named National Hitter of the
Week, while LSU sophomore right-handed pitcher Aaron Nola
was named National Pitcher of the Week. The NCBWA Board reviews
candidates from each Division I Conference each week and names winners
each Tuesday throughout the season.
Tolman batted .474 (9-for-19) with a double, three walks and
14 RBI, as Oregon won four of five games on the road last week,
including a sweep of Washington State in Pullman. The Lake Forest,
Calif., native hit safely and notched an RBI in each of the Ducks'
five games last week and registered multiple hits in three contests.
He went 3-for-4 (.750) and drove in seven runs in a 12-7 victory
over Seattle on Tuesday – his seven RBIs were the most by
a Duck since Jack Marder collected eight on March 9, 2010. Tolman
added a hit and a pair of RBIs in a loss at Seattle on Wednesday.
In a three-game series with Washington State over the weekend,
Tolman went 5-for-12 (.417) with five RBIs and three walks. He scored
the winning run from first in Sunday's 11-inning victory over the
Cougars, after starting the rally with a two-out hit. Tolman, who
entered the week with 12 RBIs, is tied for third on the team with
Nola fired his fourth consecutive complete game on May 3 and
his second shutout of the season when he blanked No. 19 Florida,
5-0, in Alex Box Stadium. The Baton Rouge, La., native limited the
Gators to four singles in nine innings with one walk and three strikeouts.
He became the first LSU pitcher to record four consecutive complete-game
victories since Mike Sirotka accomplished the feat in 1993 and also
became the first LSU pitcher to fire two shutouts in one season
since Greg Smith recorded two in 2005. Nola improved to 9-0 this
season with a 1.92 ERA and 93 strikeouts in 89 innings of work.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit
the association's official Web site,
For more information on the NCBWA Division I National Players
of the Week, contact NCBWA Assistant Executive Director
at West Virginia University at 304-293-2821.
2013 NCBWA Division I Players of the Week:
• Feb. 19: Danny Collins, Troy (Hitter); Buck Farmer, Georgia Tech (Pitcher)
• Feb. 26: Charlie White, Maryland (Hitter); Bryce Biggerstaff, Central Arkansas (Pitcher)
• March 5: A.J. Reed, Kentucky (Hitter); Mark Appel, Stanford and Carlos Rodon, N.C. State
• March 12: Cody Hudson, Austin Peay (Hitter); Frankie Vanderka, Stony Brook (Pitcher)
• March 19: Zach Fish, Oklahoma State (Hitter); Pat Young, Villanova (Pitcher)
• March 26: C.K. Irby, Samford (Hitter); Ryan Kellogg, Arizona State (Pitcher)
• April 2: Mason Katz, LSU (Hitter); Cole Irvin, Oregon (Pitcher)
• April 9: Ian Graham, UNC Asheville (Hitter); Aaron Blair, Marshall (Pitcher)
• April 16: Colin Moran, North Carolina (Hitter); Cale Elam, Wichita State (Pitcher)
• April 23: Colby Roberts, James Madison (Hitter); Harrison Musgrave, West Virginia (Pitcher)
• April 30: Trey Mancini, Notre Dame (Hitter); Matt Florer, Loyola Marymount (Pitcher)
• May 7: Mitchell Tolman, Oregon (Hitter); Aaron Nola, LSU (Pitcher)
• May 14: D.J. Stewart, Florida State (Hitter); Harrison Musgrave, West Virginia (Pitcher)
• May 21: Duncan McAlpine, Dallas Baptist (Hitter); Shane Carle, Long Beach State and Andrew Moore, Oregon State (Pitcher)