DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association released its National Player of the
Week awards for the period ending April 28. Notre Dame junior
first baseman Trey Mancini was named National
Hitter of the Week, while Loyola Marymount senior left-handed
pitcher Matt Florer was named National Pitcher
of the Week. The NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each
Division I Conference each week and names winners each Tuesday
throughout the season.
Mancini batted .750 (15-for-20) with five runs scored, three
doubles and five RBI. The Winter Haven, Fla., native also added
a walk and sacrifice fly. The Winter Haven, Fla. native
registered a .900 slugging percentage and .727 on-base
percentage. Mancini actually went hitless in his first two at
bats last week before collecting base hits over his next 10
plate appearances. In all, he went 15 for his last 18 last week.
Mancini had multiple hits in all five games and actually takes a
multi-hit streak of six into his next game at Central Michigan.
He raised his batting average 55 points to .374.
Florer tossed the second no-hitter in Loyola Marymount
program history on Tuesday against Cal State Northridge as LMU
defeated the Matadors by a score of 5-0 at LMU's Page Stadium.
The no-hitter came in Florer's ninth career start and his 14th
appearance of the year (third start). The last LMU no-hitter was
tossed by Bob Seus on March 14, 1980 vs. Long Beach State. The
Mission Viejo, Calif., native walked five, hit one batter and
struck out a career-best five batters over 134 pitches. The
left-hander improved to 2-1 with the victory.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit
the association's official Web site,
For more information on the NCBWA Division I National Players
of the Week, contact NCBWA Assistant Executive Director
at West Virginia University at 304-293-2821.
2013 NCBWA Division I Players of the Week:
• Feb. 19: Danny Collins, Troy (Hitter); Buck Farmer, Georgia Tech (Pitcher)
• Feb. 26: Charlie White, Maryland (Hitter); Bryce Biggerstaff, Central Arkansas (Pitcher)
• March 5: A.J. Reed, Kentucky (Hitter); Mark Appel, Stanford and Carlos Rodon, N.C. State
• March 12: Cody Hudson, Austin Peay (Hitter); Frankie Vanderka, Stony Brook (Pitcher)
• March 19: Zach Fish, Oklahoma State (Hitter); Pat Young, Villanova (Pitcher)
• March 26: C.K. Irby, Samford (Hitter); Ryan Kellogg, Arizona State (Pitcher)
• April 2: Mason Katz, LSU (Hitter); Cole Irvin, Oregon (Pitcher)
• April 9: Ian Graham, UNC Asheville (Hitter); Aaron Blair, Marshall (Pitcher)
• April 16: Colin Moran, North Carolina (Hitter); Cale Elam, Wichita State (Pitcher)
• April 23: Colby Roberts, James Madison (Hitter); Harrison Musgrave, West Virginia (Pitcher)
• April 30: Trey Mancini, Notre Dame (Hitter); Matt Florer, Loyola Marymount (Pitcher)
• May 7: Mitchell Tolman, Oregon (Hitter); Aaron Nola, LSU (Pitcher)
• May 14: D.J. Stewart, Florida State (Hitter); Harrison Musgrave, West Virginia (Pitcher)
• May 21: Duncan McAlpine, Dallas Baptist (Hitter); Shane Carle, Long Beach State and Andrew Moore, Oregon State (Pitcher)