DALLAS (FWAA) – Wisconsin cornerback Scott Starks (St.
Louis, Mo.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National
Defensive Player of the Week award for his performance in the Badgers'
20-17 win over Purdue this past Saturday.
The senior helped force a fumble and returned it 40 yards for the winning
touchdown in the closing minutes of Wisconsin's come-from-behind win at
West Lafayette. Starks also had nine tackles (eight unassisted) and intercepted
a pass to end another Purdue scoring drive.
For the fourth straight season, the All-America committee of the the
Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) will select the winner of
the weekly award on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is
announced each Tuesday throughout the season.
Starks has been added to the Watch List for the 2004 Bronko Nagurski
Trophy, which will be presented on Dec. 6 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA
and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
For more information on the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, go to
2004 Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Players of the Week
• Sept. 11: Michael Boley, Southern Miss
• Sept. 18: Matt McCoy, San Diego State
• Sept. 25: Derrick Martin, Wyoming
• Oct. 2: Junior Rosegreen, Auburn
• Oct. 9: Mike Patterson, USC
• Oct. 16: Scott Starks, Wisconsin
• Oct. 23: Chris Harris, Louisiana-Monroe
• Oct. 30: Tim McGarigle, Northwestern
• Nov. 6: Morgan Scalley, Utah
Charleston Daily Mail
Arizona Daily Star
Reno Gazette Journal