DALLAS (FWAA) – San Diego State linebacker Matt McCoy (Tustin,
Calif.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive
Player of the Week award for his performance in the Aztecs' near upset
of Michigan this past Saturday.
The junior made 17 unassisted tackles (18 total) in San Diego State's
24-21 loss at Michigan. He had one tackle for a three-yard loss. Eight of
his tackles limited Michigan to three yards or less and six of those were
for two yards or less.
For the fourth straight season, the All-America committee of the the
Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) will select the winner of
the weekly award on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is
announced each Tuesday throughout the season.
McCoy has been added to the Watch List for the 2004 Bronko Nagurski Trophy
which will be presented on Dec. 6 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA and the
Charlotte Touchdown Club.
For more information on the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, go to
2004 Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Players of the Week
• Sept. 11: Michael Boley, Southern Miss
• Sept. 18: Matt McCoy, San Diego State
• Sept. 25: Derrick Martin, Wyoming
• Oct. 2: Junior Rosegreen, Auburn
• Oct. 9: Mike Patterson, USC
• Oct. 16: Scott Starks, Wisconsin
• Oct. 23: Chris Harris, Louisiana-Monroe
• Oct. 30: Tim McGarigle, Northwestern
• Nov. 6: Morgan Scalley, Utah
Charleston Daily Mail
Arizona Daily Star
Reno Gazette Journal