DALLAS (FWAA) – Southern California defensive tackle Mike Patterson
(Los Alamitos, Calif.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski
National Defensive Player of the Week award for his performance in the
Trojans' 23-17 win over California this past Saturday.
The senior had a career-high 10 tackles (seven unassisted), including
two tackles for 11 yards in losses and a quarterback sack as USC remained
unbeaten. He also recovered two fumbles and forced one and USC stopped California
three times on fourth down in the game.
For the fourth straight season, the All-America committee of the the
Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) will select the winner of
the weekly award on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is
announced each Tuesday throughout the season.
Patterson is already on the Watch List for the 2004 Bronko Nagurski Trophy,
which will be presented on Dec. 6 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA and the
Charlotte Touchdown Club.
For more information on the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, go to
2004 Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Players of the Week
• Sept. 11: Michael Boley, Southern Miss
• Sept. 18: Matt McCoy, San Diego State
• Sept. 25: Derrick Martin, Wyoming
• Oct. 2: Junior Rosegreen, Auburn
• Oct. 9: Mike Patterson, USC
• Oct. 16: Scott Starks, Wisconsin
• Oct. 23: Chris Harris, Louisiana-Monroe
• Oct. 30: Tim McGarigle, Northwestern
• Nov. 6: Morgan Scalley, Utah
Charleston Daily Mail
Arizona Daily Star
Reno Gazette Journal