DALLAS (FWAA) – Southern Miss linebacker Michael Boley
(Athens, Ala.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National
Defensive Player of the Week award for his performance in the Golden
Eagles' 21-17 victory over Nebraska this past Saturday.
The senior set a career high with 20 tackles (12 unassisted) as Southern
Miss handed Nebraska its first non-conference loss in Lincoln since 1991.
Boley also forced two fumbles and had one tackle for loss as the Southern
Miss defense forced five Nebraska turnovers.
For the fourth straight season, a panel from the Football Writers Association
of America (FWAA) will select the winner of the weekly award on behalf of
the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is announced each Tuesday throughout
Boley has been added to the Watch List for the 2004 Bronko Nagurski Trophy
which will be presented on Dec. 6 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA and the
Charlotte Touchdown Club.
For more information on the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, go to
2004 Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Players of the Week
• Sept. 11: Michael Boley, Southern Miss
• Sept. 18: Matt McCoy, San Diego State
• Sept. 25: Derrick Martin, Wyoming
• Oct. 2: Junior Rosegreen, Auburn
• Oct. 9: Mike Patterson, USC
• Oct. 16: Scott Starks, Wisconsin
• Oct. 23: Chris Harris, Louisiana-Monroe
• Oct. 30: Tim McGarigle, Northwestern
• Nov. 6: Morgan Scalley, Utah
Charleston Daily Mail
Arizona Daily Star
Reno Gazette Journal