DALLAS (FWAA) – Wyoming cornerback Derrick Martin (Westminster,
Colo.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive
Player of the Week award for his performance in the Cowboys' 37-32 win
over Ole Miss this past Saturday.
The sophomore recorded nine tackles (eight of them unassisted), broke
up seven passes and had a diving interception in the end zone. He is the
second straight Mountwain West Conference player to win the weekly award.
For the fourth straight season, the All-America committee of the the
Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) will select the winner of
the weekly award on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is
announced each Tuesday throughout the season.
Martin has been added to the Watch List for the 2004 Bronko Nagurski
Trophy which will be presented on Dec. 6 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA
and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
For more information on the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, go to
2004 Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Players of the Week
• Sept. 11: Michael Boley, Southern Miss
• Sept. 18: Matt McCoy, San Diego State
• Sept. 25: Derrick Martin, Wyoming
• Oct. 2: Junior Rosegreen, Auburn
• Oct. 9: Mike Patterson, USC
• Oct. 16: Scott Starks, Wisconsin
• Oct. 23: Chris Harris, Louisiana-Monroe
• Oct. 30: Tim McGarigle, Northwestern
• Nov. 6: Morgan Scalley, Utah
Charleston Daily Mail
Arizona Daily Star
Reno Gazette Journal