DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on April 10. Central Missouri redshirt sophomore outfielder Brennen van Breusegen is the National Hitter of the Week and California (Pa.) senior Dylan Brosky is the National Pitcher of the Week.
van Breusegen (Columbia, Ill./Columbia HS) helped the No. 4-ranked Mules post a perfect 4-0 week, including a three-game sweep of Missouri Southern. The redshirt sophomore hit a sizzling .667 with 12 hits in 18 at bats, including four home runs and a double to go along with 13 RBI, a 1.389 slugging and .667 on-base percentage. He only had one strikeout in his 18 at-bats. In the Mules 13-4 win over Drury, van Breusegen went 2-for-5 with a pair of home runs and four RBI before going a perfect 5-of-5 with four runs scored, a home run and four RBI in UCM’s 21-6 victory over Missouri Southern in game one of the series. Van Breusegen then added a 2-of-4 performance with a homer and two RBI in game two against the Lions before going 3-for-4 with a double, three RBI and two runs scored in the series finale against MSSU. Van Breusegen became the 38th Mule to tally five hits in a game with his 5-of-5 performance in game two against the Lions.
Brosky (East Millsboro, Pa./Brownsville HS) recorded the program’s first no-hitter since 2014 in game one on Sunday afternoon, as the Vulcans earned a 4-0 victory in a doubleheader sweep over Indiana (Pa.). He issued two walks – initial two batters of the game – and totaled seven strikeouts over 7.0 scoreless innings (88 pitches). Brosky allowed just one base runner (catcher’s interference) after the first inning and retired the last 11 batters he faced. The Brownsville product is only the program’s third pitcher in the last 15 years to register a no-hitter, becoming the first to accomplish the feat at home since March 25, 2008.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
• Atlantic: Ian Hess, Gannon (Hitter); Dylan Brosky, California (Pa.) (Pitcher)
• Central: Brennen van Breusegen, Central Missouri (Hitter); Jeremy Adorno, Southern Arkansas (Pitcher)
• East: Andrew Eng, Southern Connecticut (Hitter); Mike Kiefer, Chestnut Hill (Pitcher)
• Midwest: Nolan Wosman, Quincy (Hitter); Blake Begner, Illinois Springfield (Pitcher)
• South: Patrick Music, Union (Tenn.) (Hitter); Jonathan Pintaro, Shorter (Pitcher)
• South Central: Will Fuenning, West Texas A&M (Hitter); Nick Marshall, West Texas A&M (Pitcher)
• Southeast: Mitch Farris, Wingate (Hitter); Austin Moore, Francis Marion (Pitcher)
• West: Tyler Godfrey, Montana State Billings (Hitter); Haden Keller, Northwest Nazarene (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.