DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on March 27. Augustana (S.D.) sophomore catcher Drey Dirksen is the National Hitter of the Week and Arkansas-Monticello junior pitcher Mason Philley is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Dirksen (Spicer, Minn./Wilmar HS) hit .563 for the week, going 9-for-16 from dish with eight runs scored and a 1.688 slugging percentage. He tallied nine hits, including a blistering six home runs in the Vikings’ five games last week. For the week, Dirksen drove in 17 helping Augustana to a 5-0 recordin wins over Minnesota-Duluth and Bemidji State.
Philley (Monticello, Ark./Monticello HS) registered the first perfect game in Great American Conference history to occur in a conference game as the Weevils defeated East Central, 12-0, on Saturday. Philley retired all 21 batters he faced, including a season-high 10 strikeouts, as he recorded the 11th no-hitter in conference history. He struck out the side in both the fifth and sixth innings.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
• Atlantic: Ben Newbert, Bloomsburg (Hitter); Anthony Vecchiolla, Seton Hill (Pitcher)
• Central: Drey Dirksen, Augustana (Hitter); Mason Philley, Arkansas-Monticello (Pitcher)
• East: John Mead, Wilmington (Hitter); Jack Choate, Assumption (Pitcher)
• Midwest: Aaron Mann, Drury (Hitter); Xavier Rivas, Indianapolis (Pitcher)
• South: Sam Kuchinski, Montevallo (Hitter); Harrison Haley, Delta State (Pitcher)
• South Central: Nick Wolff, Texas A&M-Kingsville (Hitter); Isaiah Alvarenga, Oklahoma Christian (Pitcher)
• Southeast: John Michael Faile, North Greenville (Hitter); Greg Brown, Catawba (Pitcher)
• West: Jeffrey Ray, Chico State (Hitter); Will Rudy, Cal Poly Pomona (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.