DALLAS (NCBWA) The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on March 6. Hillsdale sophomore outfielder Lewis Beals is the National Hitter of the Week and Point Loma sophomore righty Dylan Miller is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Beals (Mason, Mich./Eastern Michigan) went 11-for-17 at the plate and smashed five home runs in a four-game series vs. McKendree. The outfielder totaled eight extra-base hits and drove in 10 runs as Hillsdale won a pair of games. Beals hit for the cycle on Saturday to lead Hillsdale to a 12-7 win.
Miller (Jacksonville, Fla./Coronado HS) threw an 11-strikeout no hitter on Saturday against No. 20 Concordia, in a seven-inning victory. It was Miller's third win of the year as he improved to 3-0 and helped Point Loma improve to 15-1 on the season. Miller opened the game with a flyout and a strikeout before issuing his only walk of the game. That baserunner was caught stealing, allowing Miller to get the 11-strikeout no-hitter by facing the minimum number of batters. After the caught stealing, Miller retired 18 batters in a row, striking out 10 of them. In both the fourth and fifth inning, he struck out the first two batters before inducing a groundout. In the seventh inning, Miller got a groundout and then a six-pitch strikeout to get within one out of the no-hitter. He then had to face the reigning PacWest Player of the Week Michael Dixon, who he had walked earlier in the game. Miller got the count to 2-2 before Dixon flew out to left field to complete the no-hitter. Miller is now 3-0 on the season with one save and a 1.93 ERA, having struck out 27 batters in 28 innings pitched.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
Atlantic: Chris Satcher, Concord (Hitter); Rick Mineo, Slippery Rock (Pitcher)
· Central: Parker Dunn, Washburn (Hitter); Jeremy Adorno, Southern Arkansas (Pitcher)
· East: Zephaniah Vaughn, The College of Saint Rose (Hitter); Ryan Sandberg, Wilmington (Del.) (Pitcher)
· Midwest: Lewis Beals, Hillsdale (Hitter); Colton Hale, Illinois-Springfield (Pitcher)
· South: Adam Frank, Nova Southeastern (Hitter); Jackson Bridges, Mississippi College (Pitcher)
· South Central: Haydn McGeary, Colorado Mesa (Hitter); Tyler Blomster, Colorado School of Mines (Pitcher)
· Southeast: Steven Minter, Columbus State (Hitter); Gage Voorhees, Flagler College (Pitcher)
· West: Chris Rubottom, Cal State Monterey Bay (Hitter); Dylan Miller, Point Loma (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2022 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
Week ending Feb. 6: Duncan Pastore, Nova Southeastern (Hitter); Justin Fuson, Fresno Pacific (Pitcher)
· Week ending Feb. 13: Harrison Rodgers, Colorado Mesa (Hitter); Jack O'Brien, Hawaii Pacific (Pitcher)
· Week ending Feb. 20: Brock Reller, Northeastern State (Hitter); Jeremy Adorno, Southern Arkansas (Pitcher)
· Week ending Feb. 27: Zion Pettigrew, Illinois-Springfield (Hitter); Dominic Proietto, Kutztown (Pitcher)
· Week ending March 6: Lewis Beals, Hillsdale (Hitter); Dylan Miller, Point Loma (Pitcher)
· Week ending March 13: Kade Self, Oklahoma Baptist (Hitter); Kannon Handy, Colorado Mesa (Pitcher)
· Week ending March 20: Sean Johnson, Belmont Abbey (Hitter); Lawson Isaacs, Central Oklahoma (Pitcher)