DALLAS (NCBWA) The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on Feb. 20. Northeastern State fifth-year senior outfielder
Brock Reller is the National Hitter of the Week and Southern Arkansas freshman Jeremy Adorno is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Reller (Grand Forks, N.D./Minnesota-Crookston) hit for the cycle and blasted a game-tying grand slam to highlight an astronomical week by the fifth-year transfer. In five games played, Reller had 13 RBI, three homers, five triples, and 12 runs scored. Reller cleared the bases on 2/19 for a double in his final at-bat for the cycle and had seven RBI in the game, the most since 2015 for an NSU batter. On Sunday, down 6-2, Reller blasted a no-doubt homer to left center field on a full count to tie the game. The RiverHawks would come from behind to win 10-6. Eight of Reller's RBI came with two outs, and he batted 6-for-8 with two outs on the scoreboard. He also drew five walks, with one being intentional for a .600 on-base percentage, Reller for the week slugged 1.579.
Adorno (Kissimmee, Fla./Hill College) Adorno fired a complete game, seven-inning shutout of Northwestern Oklahoma State in the back half of Saturday's doubleheader sweep. Highlighting the effort was a 15-strikeout performance which tied him for the second-most in a single game in program history and the most since Ziggie Vanderwall's program-record 17 against LSU-Shreveport on March 1, 2011. Adorno scattered four hits, one walk and a single HBP in the 8-0 win over NWOSU. He faced just six over the minimum, only twice did a baserunner advance to second and of the 15 strikeouts ten were swinging and five were browsing. Saturday's victory, which moved him to 3-0 on the season and, in just his three starts, totaling 20 innings, Adorno has recorded 32 strikeouts, allowed just five hits and one run. Opponents are hitting .079 against him and his ERA is 0.45.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
• Atlantic: Ben Piripavel, East Stroudsburg (Hitter); Kevin Worek, Lock Haven (Pitcher)
• Central: Brock Reller, Northeastern State (Hitter); Jeremy Adorno, Southern Arkansas (Pitcher)
• East: Mike DeMartino, Southern Connecticut (Hitter); Jacob Marshall, Le Moyne (Pitcher)
• Midwest: Jordan Jackson, Trevecca Nazarene (Hitter); Xavier Rivas, Indianapolis (Pitcher
• South: Lyndon Weaver, Shorter (Hitter); Justin Alintoff, Rollins (Pitcher)
• South Central: Hayden McGeary, Colorado Mesa (Hitter); Logan Garza, Texas A&M-Kingsville (Pitcher)
• Southeast: Mason Streater, Lander (Hitter); Hunter Stevens, Mount Olive (Pitcher)
• West: AJ Salgado, Cal State LA (Hitter); Garrett Apker, Cal State San Marcos (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2022 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
Week ending Feb. 6: Duncan Pastore, Nova Southeastern (Hitter); Justin Fuson, Fresno Pacific (Pitcher)
· Week ending Feb. 13: Harrison Rodgers, Colorado Mesa (Hitter); Jack O'Brien, Hawaii Pacific (Pitcher)
· Week ending Feb. 20: Brock Reller, Northeastern State (Hitter); Jeremy Adorno, Southern Arkansas (Pitcher)
· Week ending Feb. 27: Zion Pettigrew, Illinois-Springfield (Hitter); Dominic Proietto, Kutztown (Pitcher)
· Week ending March 6: Lewis Beals, Hillsdale (Hitter); Dylan Miller, Point Loma (Pitcher)
· Week ending March 13: Kade Self, Oklahoma Baptist (Hitter); Kannon Handy, Colorado Mesa (Pitcher)
· Week ending March 20: Sean Johnson, Belmont Abbey (Hitter); Lawson Isaacs, Central Oklahoma (Pitcher)