ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association
has selected Temple guard Shey Peddy as its Women's
National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday,
Feb. 19. The USBWA's weekly honor has been handed out each Tuesday
this season and Peddy is the season's final recipient.
As the Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Week, Peddy was nominated
for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players
of the week.
Peddy, a 5-7 senior from Roxbury, Mass., averaged 18.5
points, 7.5 steals and 5.0 rebounds in two games as Temple's win
streak reached 11 games. She had a career-high 10 steals in
Sunday's win at Rhode Island, tying a school record set in 1985.
She also scored 22 points in the win over the Rams and leads the
Owls and is second in the A-10 in scoring with a 16.6 average.
She is the reigning Philadelphia Big 5 Player of the Year.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. This is the first season the USBWA has presented a
Women's National Player of the Week. At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA
will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the entire
membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2012 National Player
of the Year will be announced and presented at the USBWA's annual
awards breakfast in Denver, site of the 2012 NCAA Women's Final
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected a women's All-America
team since the 1996-97 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Joe Mitch at
2011-12 USBWA Women's National Players of the Week
• Week of Dec. 11: A'dia Mathies, Kentucky (Southeastern
• Week of Dec. 18: Brittney Griner, Baylor (Big 12
• Week of Dec. 25: Nnemkadi Ogwumike, Stanford (Pac-12
• Week of Jan. 1: Sugar Rodgers, Georgetown (Big East
• Week of Jan. 8: Elena Delle Donne, Delaware (Colonial
• Week of Jan. 15: Brittany Rayburn, Purdue (Big Ten
• Week of Jan. 22: Jessica Jenkins, St. Bonaventure
(Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week of Jan. 29: Tiffany Hayes, Connecticut (Big
• Week of Feb. 5: Markeshia Grant, South Carolina
• Week of Feb. 12: Tianna Hawkins, Maryland (Atlantic
• Week of Feb. 19: Shey Peddy, Temple (Atlantic 10