ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association
has selected Purdue guard Brittany Rayburn as its Women's
National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday,
Jan. 15. The USBWA's weekly honor will be handed out each Tuesday
through Feb. 21 this season.
As the Big Ten Conference Player of the Week, Rayburn was nominated
for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the
USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players
of the week.
Rayburn, a 6-0 senior from Attica, Ind., tied an NCAA record
with 12 three-pointers in a 72-55 win at Minnesota followed by a
57-55 win over Iowa at home with 14 points and a game-saving block
at the finish.
She is the Boilermakers' leading scorer with a 15.1 average and
is shooting 40.9 percent from three-point range, helping Purdue
(15-3, 5-0 Big Ten) to the top spot in the Big Ten standings.
This is the first season that the USBWA has selected a women's
national player of the week. The weekly national player of the week
is added to the award's watch list, which will be released at mid-season.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA
will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the entire
membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2012 National Player
of the Year will be announced and presented at the USBWA's annual
awards breakfast in Denver, site of the 2012 NCAA Women's Final
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected a women's All-America
team since the 1996-97 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Joe Mitch at
2011-12 USBWA Women's National Players of the Week
• Week of Dec. 11: A'dia Mathies, Kentucky (Southeastern
• Week of Dec. 18: Brittney Griner, Baylor (Big 12
• Week of Dec. 25: Nnemkadi Ogwumike, Stanford (Pac-12
• Week of Jan. 1: Sugar Rodgers, Georgetown (Big East
• Week of Jan. 8: Elena Delle Donne, Delaware (Colonial
• Week of Jan. 15: Brittany Rayburn, Purdue (Big Ten
• Week of Jan. 22: Jessica Jenkins, St. Bonaventure
(Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week of Jan. 29: Tiffany Hayes, Connecticut (Big
• Week of Feb. 5: Markeshia Grant, South Carolina
• Week of Feb. 12: Tianna Hawkins, Maryland (Atlantic
• Week of Feb. 19: Shey Peddy, Temple (Atlantic 10