ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association
has selected Maryland forward Tianna Hawkins as its Women's
National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday,
Feb. 12. The USBWA's weekly honor will be handed out each Tuesday
through Feb. 21 this season.
As the Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Week, Hawkins was nominated
for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the
USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players
of the week.
Hawkins, a 6-3 junior from Clinton, Md., shot over 72 percent
from the field in three games and averaged 18.3 points and 8.3 rebounds.
She scored a career-high 23 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the Terrapins'
64-56 win against
then-No. 22 Georgia Tech and followed up with 14 points and six
rebounds in a 91-71 win over Clemson. In a narrow 76-74 loss to No. 8 Miami,
she was 8-for-11 from the field, scoring 18 points to go with 10
rebounds for her 10th double-double of the season. She leads the
nation in field goal percentage at 63.3 percent.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. This is the first season the USBWA has presented a
Women's National Player of the Week. At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA
will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the entire
membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2012 National Player
of the Year will be announced and presented at the USBWA's annual
awards breakfast in Denver, site of the 2012 NCAA Women's Final
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected a women's All-America
team since the 1996-97 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Joe Mitch at
2011-12 USBWA Women's National Players of the Week
• Week of Dec. 11: A'dia Mathies, Kentucky (Southeastern
• Week of Dec. 18: Brittney Griner, Baylor (Big 12
• Week of Dec. 25: Nnemkadi Ogwumike, Stanford (Pac-12
• Week of Jan. 1: Sugar Rodgers, Georgetown (Big East
• Week of Jan. 8: Elena Delle Donne, Delaware (Colonial
• Week of Jan. 15: Brittany Rayburn, Purdue (Big Ten
• Week of Jan. 22: Jessica Jenkins, St. Bonaventure
(Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week of Jan. 29: Tiffany Hayes, Connecticut (Big
• Week of Feb. 5: Markeshia Grant, South Carolina
• Week of Feb. 12: Tianna Hawkins, Maryland (Atlantic
• Week of Feb. 19: Shey Peddy, Temple (Atlantic 10