ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association
has selected Stanford forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike as its
Women's National Player of the Week for games ending the week
of Sunday, Dec. 25. The USBWA's weekly honor will be handed out
each Tuesday through Feb. 21 this season.
As the Pac-12 Conference Player of the Week, Ogwumike was nominated
for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the
USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players
of the week.
Ogwumike, a 6-2 senior from Cypress, Texas, scored 42 points
and grabbed 17 rebounds to lead the No. 5 Cardinal to a 97-80 win
over No. 6 Tennessee Tuesday in front of a sellout crowd of 7,329
in Maples Pavilion. Two days later she scored eight points, grabbed
four rebounds and dealt four assists in just 13 minutes as Stanford
coach Tara VanDerveer gave her star a rest in an easy 90-48 home
win over Cal State Bakersfield.
Ogwumike leads the Cardinal (9-1) with a 24.0 scoring average
and an 11.0 rebounding average despite missing the season opener
against Texas with an upper body injury.
This is the first season that the USBWA has selected a women's
national player of the week. The weekly national player of the week
is added to the award's watch list, which will be released at mid-season.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA
will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the entire
membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2012 National Player
of the Year will be announced and presented at the USBWA's annual
awards breakfast in Denver, site of the 2012 NCAA Women's Final
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected a women's All-America
team since the 1996-97 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Joe Mitch at
2011-12 USBWA Women's National Players of the Week
• Week of Dec. 11: A'dia Mathies, Kentucky (Southeastern
• Week of Dec. 18: Brittney Griner, Baylor (Big 12
• Week of Dec. 25: Nnemkadi Ogwumike, Stanford (Pac-12
• Week of Jan. 1: Sugar Rodgers, Georgetown (Big East
• Week of Jan. 8: Elena Delle Donne, Delaware (Colonial
• Week of Jan. 15: Brittany Rayburn, Purdue (Big Ten
• Week of Jan. 22: Jessica Jenkins, St. Bonaventure
(Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week of Jan. 29: Tiffany Hayes, Connecticut (Big
• Week of Feb. 5: Markeshia Grant, South Carolina
• Week of Feb. 12: Tianna Hawkins, Maryland (Atlantic
• Week of Feb. 19: Shey Peddy, Temple (Atlantic 10