DALLAS (NCBWA) – University of Mobile's Zachary
Presnall, Faulkner University's Antonio Frias, and Loyola University's
Stephen Still topped many impressive performances across the country
as the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association honors it
Hitter, Pitcher, and Rookie of the Week awardees for March 15-21.
Hitter of the Week: Presnall guided the Rams
to a 3-1 week, which included taking two of three from No. 11-ranked
Middle Georgia State University. The senior outfielder produced
multiple hits in all but one game and at least one run scored in
every contest. He was especially vital in the two wins versus the
top 15 ranked Knights, as he went five-for-ten with three runs,
two doubles, one triple, and three RBI.
Pitcher of the Week: Frias, like Presnall, helped
send his team to a victory against a first 15 opponent. The senior
struck out nine and worked his way around five walks to a craft
a seven-inning no-hitter against No. 14-ranked William Carey University
of Mississippi. His no-no allowed the Eagles to rally past the Crusaders,
who had a 14-game win streak halted by Frias.
Rookie of the Week: Still, a freshman hurler
for the Wolfpack fired a masterpiece as part of a weekend sweep
of Stillman College in Southern States Athletic Conference play.
He tossed seven innings and allowed only one base runner while striking
out 10. He set a personal career-high in innings pitched and strikeouts
in the process.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2021 NAIA Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 7: Daniel Myers, Benedictine (Hitter); Chris Koeiman, Tennessee Wesleyan (Pitcher); Trevor Ball, Presentation (Rookie)
• Week ending Feb. 14: Gary Mattis, Tennessee Wesleyan (Hitter); Benjamin Harris, Brewton-Parker (Pitcher/Rookie)
• Week ending Feb. 28: Pedro Nazario, Cumberlands (Hitter); Robert Gonzalez, Tennessee Wesleyan (Pitcher); Carson Ford, Texas Wesleyan (Rookie)
• Week ending March 7: Jayden Adams, Concordia, Neb. (Hitter); Eli Jackson, Blue Mountain (Pitcher); Thaniel Thumper, Doane (Rookie)
• Week ending March 14: Justin Brooks, Middle Georgia State (Hitter); Dan Monear, Rochester (Hitter); Joe Osborn, Doane (Rookie)
• Week ending March 21: Zachary Presnall, Mobile (Hitter); Antonio Frias, Faulkner (Pitcher); Stephen Still, Loyola (Rookie)
• Week ending March 28: Shane Stewart, Central Baptist (Hitter); Chris Wall, Columbia College (Pitcher); Evan Juniper, Kentucky Christian (Rookie)
• Week ending April 4: Justice Lucas, Faulkner (Hitter); Garrett Martin, Middle Georgia State (Pitcher); Tucker Musgrove, Mobile (Rookie)
• Week ending April 11: Aaron Saal, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Hitter); Travis Keys, Aquinas College (Pitcher); Hayden Sullivan, Ava Maria (Rookie)
• Week ending April 18: Josh Sears, Freed-Hardeman (Hitter); Jared Davis, Texas A&M-Texarkana (Pitcher); Blaize Minick, South Carolina-Beaufort (Rookie)
• Week ending April 25: Adrian Reed, Madonna (Hitter); Benjamin Harris, Brewton-Parker (Pitcher/Rookie)