DALLAS (NCBWA) – Despite challenging winter
weather situations striking down many regular-season game
opportunities across the country Feb. 8-14, some top-notch
performances were registered. The tandem of freshman pitcher
Benjamin Harris of Brewton-Parker College of
Georgia and junior infielder Gary Mattis of
Tennessee Wesleyan University highlighted those by snagging all
three combined accolades from the National Collegiate Baseball
Hitter of the Week: Tennessee Wesleyan's
Gary Mattis helped lift the Bulldogs to a sweep
of Indiana University-Southeast Feb. 12 and 13. He was nearly
perfect at the plate, finishing nine of 12, with six
round-trippers and 14 RBI. In the Feb. 12 doubleheader, Mattis
went seven-for-nine with five home runs and 10 RBI. The junior
also scored ten runs over the weekend.
Pitcher and Rookie of the Week:
Brewton-Parker College of Georgia's Benjamin Harris
fired a complete-game one-hitter with 14 strikeouts in a 5-0
victory over the Cumberland University of Tennessee on Feb. 12.
That was just part of the story, though. Harris also hit a
juggernaut .667 and slugged an astronomical 1.083, scoring four
runs to go along with two doubles, a home run, and three RBI as
the Barons turned in two wins in seven games.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2021 NAIA Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 7: Daniel Myers, Benedictine (Hitter); Chris Koeiman, Tennessee Wesleyan (Pitcher); Trevor Ball, Presentation (Rookie)
• Week ending Feb. 14: Gary Mattis, Tennessee Wesleyan (Hitter); Benjamin Harris, Brewton-Parker (Pitcher/Rookie)
• Week ending Feb. 28: Pedro Nazario, Cumberlands (Hitter); Robert Gonzalez, Tennessee Wesleyan (Pitcher); Carson Ford, Texas Wesleyan (Rookie)
• Week ending March 7: Jayden Adams, Concordia, Neb. (Hitter); Eli Jackson, Blue Mountain (Pitcher); Thaniel Thumper, Doane (Rookie)
• Week ending March 14: Justin Brooks, Middle Georgia State (Hitter); Dan Monear, Rochester (Hitter); Joe Osborn, Doane (Rookie)
• Week ending March 21: Zachary Presnall, Mobile (Hitter); Antonio Frias, Faulkner (Pitcher); Stephen Still, Loyola (Rookie)
• Week ending March 28: Shane Stewart, Central Baptist (Hitter); Chris Wall, Columbia College (Pitcher); Evan Juniper, Kentucky Christian (Rookie)
• Week ending April 4: Justice Lucas, Faulkner (Hitter); Garrett Martin, Middle Georgia State (Pitcher); Tucker Musgrove, Mobile (Rookie)
• Week ending April 11: Aaron Saal, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Hitter); Jared Davis, Texas A&M-Texarkana (Pitcher); Hayden Sullivan, Ava Maria (Rookie)