DALLAS (NCBWA) – Rochester University senior
Dan Monear, Middle Georgia State junior infielder Justin Brooks,
and Doane University outfielder Joe Osborn topped many impressive
performances across the country as the National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association honors it Hitter, Pitcher, and Rookie of the
Week awardees for March 8-14.
Hitter of the Week: Brooks lifted the
Knights to four straight triumphs against USC-Beaufort and a
weekend series versus Talladega. He recorded at least one hit,
one double, one run, and one RBI in every game. Brooks’ numbers
included driving in three runs, piecing together multiple hits,
and scoring multiple runs in three of the four contests.
Pitcher of the Week: Monear didn’t allow
Lawrence Tech a hit over seven frames while striking out 12 and
being touched for just one unearned run to lead the Warriors to
a 10-1 victory on March 13. His stellar effort enabled RU to
stop a six-game season-opening skid.
Rookie of the Week: Doane University picked
up its second successive award in this category, as Osborn
helped lead the Tigers to the program’s first four-game sweep in
more than eight seasons. He produced a walk-off hit in game two
of the four-game series, drove in the game-winning run in game
four, and scored the game-winning run in game three, as DU
upended Cornerstone University. Osborn’s weekend outing also
included a defensive gem, as he had a diving catch on the
warning track to end an inning with the bases loaded.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2021 NAIA Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 7: Daniel Myers, Benedictine (Hitter); Chris Koeiman, Tennessee Wesleyan (Pitcher); Trevor Ball, Presentation (Rookie)
• Week ending Feb. 14: Gary Mattis, Tennessee Wesleyan (Hitter); Benjamin Harris, Brewton-Parker (Pitcher/Rookie)
• Week ending Feb. 28: Pedro Nazario, Cumberlands (Hitter); Robert Gonzalez, Tennessee Wesleyan (Pitcher); Carson Ford, Texas Wesleyan (Rookie)
• Week ending March 7: Jayden Adams, Concordia, Neb. (Hitter); Eli Jackson, Blue Mountain (Pitcher); Thaniel Thumper, Doane (Rookie)
• Week ending March 14: Justin Brooks, Middle Georgia State (Hitter); Dan Monear, Rochester (Hitter); Joe Osborn, Doane (Rookie)
• Week ending March 21: Zachary Presnall, Mobile (Hitter); Antonio Frias, Faulkner (Pitcher); Stephen Still, Loyola (Rookie)
• Week ending March 28: Shane Stewart, Central Baptist (Hitter); Chris Wall, Columbia College (Pitcher); Evan Juniper, Kentucky Christian (Rookie)
• Week ending April 4: Justice Lucas, Faulkner (Hitter); Garrett Martin, Middle Georgia State (Pitcher); Tucker Musgrove, Mobile (Rookie)
• Week ending April 11: Aaron Saal, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Hitter); Travis Keys, Aquinas College (Pitcher); Hayden Sullivan, Ava Maria (Rookie)
• Week ending April 18: Josh Sears, Freed-Hardeman (Hitter); Jared Davis, Texas A&M-Texarkana (Pitcher); Blaize Minick, South Carolina-Beaufort (Rookie)
• Week ending April 25: Adrian Reed, Madonna (Hitter); Benjamin Harris, Brewton-Parker (Pitcher/Rookie)