DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on May 7, 2023. Mount Olive graduate student outfielder Landon Choboy, is the National Hitter of the Week and Ouachita Baptist junior righty Cooper Timmons is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Choboy (Raleigh, N.C. / College of Charleston), the Conference Carolinas Tourney Most Valuable Player, went 10-for-23 at the plate with five homers and 21 RBI, leading the Trojans to the tournament title. He had three separate, three-hit games, while driving in four runs in three games to go along with a nine-RBI effort. Choboy was 3-5 with an RBI in the FMU win, followed by a 3-4 effort with a homer and four more RBI against Belmont Abbey. He then blasted three homers and drove in nine runs against UNCP to send UMO to the title game. Choboy connected on another homer, driving in four more runs in the championship game.
Timmons (League City, Texas / Clear Falls) opened the Great American Conference Tournament by firing a 13-strikeout, complete-game shutout against Harding on May 5, helping lead Ouachita Baptist to a series win. The righthander scattered seven hits over his 9.0 innings of work, fanning 13 while walking none. The League City, Texas, product has gone 7-4 with a 4.07 ERA across 86.1 innings of work this season, striking out 109 while walking just 36.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Austin Baal, Shippensburg (Hitter); Cole Peschl, Charleston (W.Va.) (Pitcher)
- Central: Jake Hjelle, Minnesota Crookston (Hitter); Cooper Timmons, Ouachita Baptist (Pitcher)
- East: Gregory DiGiaro, St. Thomas Aquinas (Hitter); Wilfrido Valenzuela, Felician (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Jeff Landis, Hillsdale (Hitter); Jake Karaba, Lewis (Pitcher)
- South: Parker Smith, Rollins (Hitter); Tanner Folds, Shorter (Pitcher)
- South Central: Carson Ogilvie, Lubbock Christian (Hitter); Wesley Gafford, St. Edward’s (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Landon Choboy, Mount Olive (Hitter); Tanner Halvorson, Barton College (Pitcher)
- West: Nico Hartojo, Cal State Monterey Bay (Hitter); Nate Rohlicek, Cal State Monterey Bay (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.