DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on April 30, 2023. Quincy (Ill.) senior shortstop Gino D’Alessio, is the National Hitter of the Week and Wingate redshirt junior pitcher Mitch Farris is the National Pitcher of the Week.
D’Alessio (Milwaukee, Wis.) batted .667 (12-for-18) with a .739 on-base percentage in five games. He crushed five home runs with two doubles and a 1.611 slugging percentage. He drove in ten runs and scored 16, while swiping 16 bases. The senior shortstop went 7 for 7 with four home runs, seven RBI and ten runs scored in the final two games Drury, while reaching base in all ten plate appearances.
Farris (Palm Harbor, Fla. / Palm Harbor University) tossed a complete-game two-hitter to lead #21 Wingate to a 2-0 victory over Anderson in the SAC Tournament opener. The All-American struck out nine while walking just one, throwing 102 pitches on the night. Farris retired the first seven he faced, then retired 11 straight from the third through the seventh inning. Farris then retired the final nine of the night to pick up his 11th win of the year and lower his season ERA to 1.21.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Vincenzo Rauso, Seton Hill (Hitter); Roman Gill, California (Pa.) (Pitcher)
- Central: John Prudhom, Central Missouri (Hitter); John Gray, Arkansas Tech (Pitcher)
- East: Steve Rizzuto, Bentley (Hitter); Chris AuClair, D’Youville (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Gino D’Alessio, Quincy (Hitter); Jake Karaba, Lewis (Pitcher)
- South: Joey Rubin, Rollins (Hitter); Dillon Moran, Embry-Riddle (Pitcher)
- South Central: Ethan Flodstrom, UT Permian Basin (Hitter); Kevin Zapanta, Colorado School of Mines (Pitcher)
- Southeast: John Michael Faile, North Greenville (Hitter); Mitch Farris, Wingate (Pitcher)
- West: Jacob Maiben, Western Oregon (Hitter); Julian Diaz, Cal State Dominguez Hills (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.