DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on April 23, 2023. Millersville redshirt-senior shortstop Thomas Caufield, is the National Hitter of the Week and Wilmington (Del.) junior pitcher Matt Warrington is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Caufield (West Chester, Pa.) led Millersville to a 4-0 week with a sweep of Shepherd by hitting .625 with a 1.563 slugging percentage. Caufield went 10-for-16 with 10 runs and 13 RBIs, totaling 25 bases with seven extra-base hits. He recorded two doubles, two triples and three homers. He also drew five walks and was hit by a pitch for a .696 on base percentage. In the first game of the week at Wilmington, Caufield reached base three times with a hit and two walks, stole two bases, drove in two runs and score twice. He then had three hits and a walk in each game of the weekend series and hit a home run in each game. Caufield drove in four runs in game one and five runs in game two. In that game two at home, Caufield tripled twice, homered and walked. His home run in game three came in the eighth inning and gave Millersville a three-run lead.
Warrington (Millsboro, Del.) Threw a 7-inning complete game shutout with 13 strikeouts against Alliance. Faced the minimum 21 batters as the 2 hits were caught stealing and picked off. Did not walk a batter and only allowed 2 hits. The 13 strikeouts set a new career high for Warrington.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Thomas Caufield, Millersville (Hitter); Julian Costa, West Chester (Pitcher)
- Central: Jenner Steele, Newman (Hitter); Casey Steward, Washburn (Pitcher)
- East: Cristian Mercedes, Southern New Hampshire (Hitter); Matt Warrington, Wilmington (Del.) (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Caleb Vaughn, Indianapolis (Hitter); Jack Keele, Trevecca Nazarene (Pitcher)
- South: Ben Teel, Montevallo (Hitter); Dalton Neuschwander, West Florida (Pitcher)
- South Central: Eduardo Acosta, Lubbock Christian (Hitter); Liam Hohenstein, Colorado Mesa (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Ashby Smith, Erskine (Hitter); Nick McCollum, Georgia Southwestern (Pitcher)
- West: Michael Dixon, Concordia University Irvine (Hitter); Owen Hunt, Cal State Los Angeles (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.