DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on March 12, 2023. Quincy (Ill.) junior catcher Luke Napleton is the National Hitter of the Week and Columbus State junior hurler Noah Windhorst is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Napleton (LaGrange, Ill. / St. Rita HS) belted five home runs for the Hawks to give him nine on the young season. He also moved into a tie for fourth for most home runs in program history. Napleton started the series with a triple to dead center field in the bottom of the 1st. Along with the five home runs, he chipped in eight RBI and scored five runs for the Hawks.
Windhorst (Zebulon, Ga. / Pike County HS) tossed a seven-inning no-hitter as Columbus State blanked North Georgia in a run-rule, shortened 10-0 win. He allowed three walks and struck out six to improve to 5-0 on the season. He retired the first eight batters he faced in order before issuing a walk in the third, then retired the next 11 in a row. It is the third no-hitter thrown in league play this season and the eighth in a conference game in PBC history.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Ethan Martini, Kutztown (Hitter); Devin Dunn, Slippery Rock (Pitcher)
- Central: Kade Self, Oklahoma Baptist (Hitter); Ansen Dulas, Southwest Minnesota State (Pitcher)
- East: Andrew Cain, New Haven (Hitter); Mike Andreoli, Molloy (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Luke Napleton, Quincy (Hitter); Griffin Kilander, Wayne State (Mich.) (Pitcher)
- South: Carson Villalta, Alabama Huntsville (Hitter); Drew Dwyer, Lynn (Pitcher)
- South Central: Jacob Guerrero, Angelo State (Hitter); Aaron Munson, Angelo State (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Braylin Marine, Newberry (Hitter); Noah Windhorst, Columbus State (Pitcher)
- West: Omar Lopez, Azusa Pacific (Hitter); Aaron Davies, Hawaii-Hilo (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.