DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on February 19. Missouri Southern sophomore infielder Nate Mieszkowski is the National Hitter of the Week and UNC Pembroke redshirt senior righty Branden Kunz is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Mieszkowski (Grayslake, Ill. / Grayslake Central HS) mashed over four games at the top of the Missouri Southern State order, going 13-for-18 (.722) with two doubles, four home runs, 10 runs scored and 10 RBI. The shortstop posted a 2.200 OPS and a .911 wOBA while recording four multi-hit games – including a four-hit contest and three straight three-hit games. He currently is hitting .444 with nine extra-base hits and 14 RBI across 13 games.
Kunz (Wake Forest, N.C. / Heritage HS / UNC Wilmington) as dominant in his outing in No. 13 UNC Pembroke’s league sweep of No. 14 Belmont Abbey. Kunz struck out 14 and allowed just two hits in UNC Pembroke’s 12-0 win in seven innings of work against Belmont Abbey. He did not walk anyone in the complete-game victory and he retired the side in order in three different frames. Both hits he allowed were singles.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Ryan Callahan, California (Pa.) (Hitter); JT Weaver, Shippensburg (Pitcher)
- Central: Nate Mieszkowski, Missouri Southern (Hitter); John Gray, Arkansas Tech (Pitcher)
- East: Braden Kolmansberger, Goldey-Beacom (Hitter); Charlie Cucchiara, Molloy (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Drew Donaldson, Indianapolis (Hitter); Connor McKenna, Illinois Springfield (Pitcher)
- South: Henry Daniels, West Georgia (Hitter); Drew Dwyer, Lynn (Pitcher)
- South Central: Cam Yuran, MSU Denver (Hitter); Kobe Jaramillo, Texas A&M-Kingsville (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Seaver King, Wingate (Hitter); Branden Kunz, UNC Pembroke (Pitcher)
- West: Anthony Accordino, Cal State Dominguez Hills (Hitter); Nico Martinez, Cal State Dominguez Hills (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.