ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers
Association has selected St. Bonaventure guard
Matt Mobley as its Oscar Robertson National Player
of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Feb. 18.
The USBWA's weekly honor is presented by Blue Ribbon College
As the Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Player of the Week, Mobley was
nominated for the weekly award, and then chosen by a representative
of the USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference
players of the week. This is the ninth season that the USBWA has
selected a national player of the week.
A 6-3, 185-pound senior from Worcester, Mass., Mobley averaged
28 points and nine rebounds in two games last week. In St. Bonaventure's
77-74 win over then-No. 16 Rhode Island on last Friday, he scored
a game-high 26 points and pulled down nine rebounds. The win was
the Bonnies' eighth in a row and snapped the nation's longest winning
streak at 16.
Mobley began the week last Tuesday with 30 points and nine rebounds
in a 79-68 win at La Salle, his second game of 30 points or more
In the two games, Mobley made 19-of-37 field goal attempts (51
percent) and was 9-for-20 (45 percent) from three-point range. He
was also 9-for-11 at the free throw line. For the season, Mobley
is averaging 18.8 points, 5.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.2 steals
per game and is the sixth-leading scorer in the Atlantic 10. He
has made 78 three-pointers while shooting 38 percent from beyond
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University
of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year
Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only
one named after a former player.
the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA will name finalists
for the award, which is voted on by the entire membership.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America
team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA
and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Joe Mitch
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, the most comprehensive
college basketball publication in the world, returns for its 37th
season. Blue Ribbon – long-known as "The Bible of College Basketball"
– gives its readers the most thorough, up-to-date and timely evaluations
of every Division I team in the country. For more information about
Blue Ribbon Yearbooks, visit
2017-18 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
• Week ending Dec. 3: Devonté Graham, Kansas (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 10: Shannon Evans II, Arizona State (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 17: Trae Young, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 24: Trae Young, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 31: Kelan Martin, Butler (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 7: Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State (Big Ten Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 14: Chandler Hutchison, Boise State (Mountain West Conference) and Luwane Pipkins, Massachusetts (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 21: Jock Landale, St. Mary's (West Coast Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 28: Kevin Knox, Kentucky (Southeastern Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 4: Noah Dickerson, Washington (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 11: Shamorie Ponds, St. John's (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 18: Matt Mobley, St. Bonaventure (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 25: Carsen Edwards, Purdue (Big Ten Conference)