ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association
has selected St. Mary's center Jock Landale as its Oscar Robertson National Player of
the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Jan. 21. The
USBWA's weekly honor is presented by Blue Ribbon College
As the West Coast Conference Player of
the Week, Landale was nominated for the weekly award, and then
chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors from
a list of Division I conference players of the week. This is the
ninth season that the USBWA has selected a national player of
A 6-11 senior from East Malvern, Victoria, Australia,
Landale averaged 29.0 points and 9.5 rebounds and shot 68.6
percent (24-for-35) from the field in wins at Gonzaga and
Pacific. Monday, he was named to the Oscar Robertson Trophy
Midseason Watch List.
In the 74-71 win over the Zags last
Thursday, he posted his 13th double-double of the season with 26
points and 12 boards to secure the Gaels' first win against a
nationally-ranked Zags team in Spokane, Wash. Landale connected
on 12-of-15 from the floor with three assists in 37 minutes
In the 72-69 come-from-behind win in
Stockton, Calif., two days later, Landale led the Gaels to their
14th straight win with 32 points while playing all 40 minutes.
After connecting on 12-of-20 from the field, he now has five
games this season with at least 30 points.
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University
of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year
Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only
one named after a former player.
the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA will name finalists
for the award, which is voted on by the entire membership.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America
team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA
and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Joe Mitch
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, the most comprehensive
college basketball publication in the world, returns for its 37th
season. Blue Ribbon – long-known as "The Bible of College Basketball"
– gives its readers the most thorough, up-to-date and timely evaluations
of every Division I team in the country. For more information about
Blue Ribbon Yearbooks, visit
2017-18 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
• Week ending Dec. 3: Devonté Graham, Kansas (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 10: Shannon Evans II, Arizona State (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 17: Trae Young, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 24: Trae Young, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 31: Kelan Martin, Butler (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 7: Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State (Big Ten Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 14: Chandler Hutchison, Boise State (Mountain West Conference) and Luwane Pipkins, Massachusetts (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 21: Jock Landale, St. Mary's (West Coast Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 28: Kevin Knox, Kentucky (Southeastern Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 4: Noah Dickerson, Washington (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 11: Shamorie Ponds, St. John's (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 18: Matt Mobley, St. Bonaventure (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 25: Carsen Edwards, Purdue (Big Ten Conference)