DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association (NCBWA) released its National
Player of the Week awards for the period ending May 2.
Hawaii redshirt junior designated hitter Dustin Demeter
was named National Hitter of the Week, while Seton
Hall senior left-handed pitcher Tyler Burnham was
named National Pitcher of the Week. The NCBWA Board
reviews candidates from each Division I Conference each week and
names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Demeter produced four doubles and three home runs among his 11
hits to lead the Rainbow Warriors to a series win at Cal State Fullerton
last weekend. While hitting from the three-hole, the Goleta, California
native, posted back-to-back career-high six RBI games on Saturday
and Sunday, and finished the series with 14. He also scored five
times, ultimately contributing to 19 of the 32 runs UH scored over
the four games.
Demeter hit .579 (11-for-19) and had a 1.263 slugging percentage.
He collected four hits in each of the last two games. In Saturday's
16-8 game two doubleheader win, Demeter posted his first career
multi-home run game, finishing 4-for-6 and became the first UH player
with six RBI since 2019.
The designated hitter slugged his third homer of the series –
and sixth in the last 10 games – a two-run shot in the fifth of
Sunday's 8-2 victory.
Burnham tossed the fifth no-hitter in Seton Hall history on Sunday
against Georgetown. The East Brunswick, New Jersey native, struck
out a career-high 14 batters on 128 pitches. He recorded at least
one strikeout in six of the nine innings and struck out the side
twice. His 14 Ks are the most ever tallied in a Seton Hall no-hitter.
Burnham retired nine consecutive batters from the sixth through
the eighth innings. Burnham has been a part of two of the program's
five no-hitters, including a combined no-hitter on March 30, 2019
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit
the association's official Web site,
For more information on the NCBWA Division I National Players
of the Week, contact NCBWA Assistant Executive Director
at West Virginia University at 304-293-2821.
2021 NCBWA Division I Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 22: Blayne Jones, Dallas Baptist (Hitter); Jordan Wicks, Kansas State (Pitcher)
• Week ending Feb. 28: Dominic Keegan, Vanderbilt (Hitter); Will Dion, McNeese State (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 7: Kenyon Yovan, Oregon (Hitter); Ty Madden, Texas (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 14: Cade Doughty, LSU (Hitter); Jarrett Whorff, Louisiana Tech (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 21: Robby Martin, Florida State (Hitter); Jack Leiter, Vanderbilt (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 28: Caden Grice, Clemson (Hitter); Chayce McDermott, Ball State (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 4: Adrian Del Castillo, Miami (Hitter); Seth Lonsway, Ohio State (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 11: Ivan Melendez, Texas (Hitter); Jonathan Cannon, Georgia (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 18: Aaron Beck, Indiana State (Hitter); Alek Jacob, Gonzaga (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 25: T.J. Collett, Kentucky (Hitter); Landen Bourassa, San Francisco (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 2: Dustin Demeter, Hawaii (Hitter); Tyler Burnham, Seton Hall (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 9: Will Frizzell, Texas A&M (Hitter); Justin Campbell, Oklahoma State (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 16: Ethan Long, Arizona State (Hitter); Andrew Abbott, Virginia (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 23: Cody Littlejohn, Tennessee Tech (Hitter); Cooper Hjerpe, Oregon State (Pitcher)
2021 NCBWA Division I Players of the Month:
• February: Wes Clarke, South Carolina (Player); Carson Whisenhunt, East Carolina (Pitcher)
• March: Tim Elko, Ole Miss (Player); Jack Leiter, Vanderbilt (Pitcher)
• April: Christian Encarnacion-Strand, Oklahoma State (Player); Kevin Kopps, Arkansas (Pitcher)
• May: Jack Rogers, Sam Houston (Player); Kevin Kopps, Arkansas (Pitcher)