DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association (NCBWA) released its National Player of the
Week awards for the period ending February 28. Vanderbilt junior
utility player Dominic Keegan was named
National Hitter of the Week, while McNeese State
redshirt sophomore left-handed pitcher Will Dion
was named National Pitcher of the Week. The
NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference
each week and names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Keegan posted multi-hit efforts in four of Vanderbilt’s five
contests on the week while notching at least one hit in all
five. He went 3-for-3 in Wednesday’s midweek win over Western
Kentucky with a team-high three RBIs. All three of his hits
against the Hilltoppers went for extra bases, including two
doubles and his first career home run.
Keegan launched his second home run of the week in Saturday’s
win over Georgia State with a two-run shot. He registered eight
RBIs across Sunday’s doubleheader with the Panthers, including a
career-high six RBIs in the second game of the twinbill as the
Commodores scored a season-high 17 runs.
The Methuen, Massachusetts, native connected on his first
career grand slam and his third home run of the week with a deep
shot to center field in the weekend series finale with Georgia
Keegan slugged 1.533 on the week, while collecting 23 total
bases and posting an on-base percentage of .762 and recording
six walks. Seven of his 10 hits on the week went for extra
The Sulphur, Louisiana native, tied a McNeese record with 19
strikeouts in Friday night's 5-0 win over Prairie View in
picking up the win in his first complete game and shutout of his
collegiate career. He matched the record first set by Terry
Burrows against ULL in the 1990 season.
In the win, Dion threw 103 pitches with 83 of those going for
strikes. Only once did he allow a runner to get to third base
and only four runners on base the entire game. He retired the
first 13 batters faced before giving up a walk and a single with
one out in the fifth inning.
In three innings he struck out batters for all three outs and
had two strikeouts an inning four other frames and faced 30
batters, just three over the minimum.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit
the association's official Web site,
For more information on the NCBWA Division I National Players
of the Week, contact NCBWA Assistant Executive Director
at West Virginia University at 304-293-2821.
2021 NCBWA Division I Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 22: Blayne Jones, Dallas Baptist (Hitter); Jordan Wicks, Kansas State (Pitcher)
• Week ending Feb. 28: Dominic Keegan, Vanderbilt (Hitter); Will Dion, McNeese State (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 7: Kenyon Yovan, Oregon (Hitter); Ty Madden, Texas (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 14: Cade Doughty, LSU (Hitter); Jarrett Whorff, Louisiana Tech (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 21: Robby Martin, Florida State (Hitter); Jack Leiter, Vanderbilt (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 28: Caden Grice, Clemson (Hitter); Chayce McDermott, Ball State (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 4: Adrian Del Castillo, Miami (Hitter); Seth Lonsway, Ohio State (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 11: Ivan Melendez, Texas (Hitter); Jonathan Cannon, Georgia (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 18: Aaron Beck, Indiana State (Hitter); Alek Jacob, Gonzaga (Pitcher)
2021 NCBWA Division I Players of the Month:
• February: Wes Clarke, South Carolina (Player); Carson Whisenhunt, East Carolina (Pitcher)