ST. LOUIS (USBWA) The U.S. Basketball Writers Association has selected St. Bonaventure guard
Matt Mobley as its Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Feb. 18. The USBWA's weekly honor is presented by Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.
As the Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Player of the Week, Mobley was nominated for the weekly award, and then chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players of the week. This is the ninth season that the USBWA has selected a national player of the week.
A 6-3, 185-pound senior from Worcester, Mass., Mobley averaged 28 points and nine rebounds in two games last week. In St. Bonaventure's 77-74 win over then-No. 16 Rhode Island on last Friday, he scored a game-high 26 points and pulled down nine rebounds. The win was the Bonnies' eighth in a row and snapped the nation's longest winning streak at 16.
Mobley began the week last Tuesday with 30 points and nine rebounds in a 79-68 win at La Salle, his second game of 30 points or more this year.
In the two games, Mobley made 19-of-37 field goal attempts (51 percent) and was 9-for-20 (45 percent) from three-point range. He was also 9-for-11 at the free throw line. For the season, Mobley is averaging 18.8 points, 5.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.2 steals per game and is the sixth-leading scorer in the Atlantic 10. He has made 78 three-pointers while shooting 38 percent from beyond the arc.
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only one named after a former player.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in 1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers. With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Joe Mitch at 314-795-6821.
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, the most comprehensive college basketball publication in the world, returns for its 37th season. Blue Ribbon long-known as "The Bible of College Basketball" · gives its readers the most thorough, up-to-date and timely evaluations of every Division I team in the country. For more information about Blue Ribbon Yearbooks, visit
2017-18 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
Week ending Dec. 3: Devonté Graham, Kansas (Big 12 Conference)
· Week ending Dec. 10: Shannon Evans II, Arizona State (Pac-12 Conference)
· Week ending Dec. 17: Trae Young, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
· Week ending Dec. 24: Trae Young, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
· Week ending Dec. 31: Kelan Martin, Butler (Big East Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 7: Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State (Big Ten Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 14: Chandler Hutchison, Boise State (Mountain West Conference) and Luwane Pipkins, Massachusetts (Atlantic 10 Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 21: Jock Landale, St. Mary's (West Coast Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 28: Kevin Knox, Kentucky (Southeastern Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 4: Noah Dickerson, Washington (Pac-12 Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 11: Shamorie Ponds, St. John's (Big East Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 18: Matt Mobley, St. Bonaventure (Atlantic 10 Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 25: Carsen Edwards, Purdue (Big Ten Conference)