DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers
Association has its fifth two-time NCAA Div. III Hitter of the Week,
and for the second time this season, an institution has won the
Hitter and Rookie of the Week honors in the same week. A nine-inning
no-hitter rounded out this week's honorees, which were chosen based
on performances for games played May 3-9.
Hitter of the Week: St. John Fisher College
junior catcher Adam Zebrowski briefly took over the NCAA Div. III
home run lead last week, as the Cardinals went 3-0 overall and 2-0
in Empire 8 Athletic Conference play. The catcher was 11-for-14
(.786) with two doubles, four home runs, 14 RBI, and 10 runs scored.
He finished the week with an .824 on-base percentage and slugged
1.786 for a remarkable 2.610 OPS. Zebrowski had at least three hits
in every game last week and capped the week with a 5-for-5 performance
against Keuka College on Saturday. This is Zebrowski's third E8
weekly honor of 2021. Zebrowski, the NCBWA Div. III Hitter of the
Week for games played April 5-11, 2021, joins The College of New
Jersey's Gerard Haran (week ending March 19, 2006 & week ending
May 7, 2006), Wartburg College's Jake Shandri (week ending March
4, 2007 & week ending March 25, 2007), Bridgewater College's
(Va.) Jonathan Mason (week ending March 20, 2011 & week ending
March 31, 2013) and Lancaster Bible College's Matt Taliercio (week
ending April 21, 2013 & week ending May 4, 2014) as two-time
NCBWA Div. III Hitters of the Week.
Honorable Mention Hitter: Colin Kelly, Sr.,
INF, Union College (N.Y.) – Had a monster weekend for Union in a
four-game sweep of Bard College, going 10-for-16 with five homers,
12 RBI, nine runs scored, a 1.688 slugging percentage, and a .647
on-base percentage. He had at least two hits, one homer, two RBI,
and two runs scored in all four games, including going 6-for-7 with
three homers, a triple, and seven RBI in Sunday's doubleheader sweep.
As a result of his explosive weekend, Kelly now has 10 homers in
just 18 games this season.
Pitcher of the Week: The University of Wisconsin-Stout's
James Palmer pitched the program's first no-hitter since 2009 and
the first complete-game no-hitter since 1997. The left-hander struck
out nine during an 8-0 nine-inning win over the University of Wisconsin-Platteville
on May 4. Palmer allowed five walks, but consistently worked his
way out of trouble throughout the game. He faced three batters in
the first, second, fourth, sixth, and eighth innings, allowing only
one runner as far as second base. Palmer recorded the first out
in the ninth via a strikeout, then forced two consecutive groundouts
to shortstop to end the game.
Honorable Mention Pitcher: Thomas Zbezinski,
Jr., Pennsylvania State University Behrend – Threw his first collegiate
no-hitter against the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford in game
one of Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference quarterfinal series.
Zbezinski became the fifth pitcher in Behrend program history to
accomplish this feat. He struck out nine in seven innings to improve
to 5-1 on the mound.
Rookie of the Week: St. John Fisher freshman
James Murphy had six hits go for extra bases last week, as the Cardinals
won all three contests, including two Empire 8 tilts. Murphy batted
.400 overall with six hits in 15 at bats. The third baseman legged
out three doubles and three triples, drove in 11 runs, and scored
five of his own. Murphy was perfect in the field as well with six
assists and two putouts. This is St. John Fisher's second rookie
honor this spring, as James Ward Jr. was the pick for games played
April 19-25. With its four selections this spring, St. John Fisher
is now tied for third all-time with six honorees.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Dick Howser Player
of the Year Award, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America
voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2021 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• Week ending March 7: Caleb Durbin, Washington U. (Hitter); Patrick O'Rourke, Berry (Pitcher); Amani Jones, Stevenson (Rookie)
• Week ending March 14: Philip Mahlik, Kean (Hitter); Ryan Behling, North Central (Pitcher); Jacob Cyrus, Illinois Wesleyan (Rookie)
• Week ending March 21: Dane Pedersen, Louisiana College (Hitter); Thomas Gallant, Mount Union (Pitcher); Nolan Sparks, Rochester (Rookie)
• Week ending March 28: Jack Hollinshead, Wittenberg (Hitter); Sam Westermeyer, St. Olaf (Pitcher); Cam Seymour, Southern Maine (Rookie)
• Week ending April 4: Catcher Cumming, Penn State Altoona (Hitter); Chris Chiriboga, St. Thomas (Pitcher); Jake Freed, Oberlin (Rookie)
• Week ending April 11: Adam Zebrowski, St. John Fisher (Hitter); Nolan Rowan, Kean (Pitcher); Amani Jones, Stevenson (Rookie)
• Week ending April 18: Dougie DelaCruz, Mitchell (Hitter); Michael Vallone, DePauw (Pitcher); Owen Robbins, Mitchell (Rookie)
• Week ending April 25: Daniel Coleman, SUNY-Cortland (Hitter); Brock Weirather, Grinnell (Pitcher); James Ward Jr., St. John Fisher (Rookie)
• Week ending May 2: Jake Reinhardt, North Park (Hitter); Weston Lombard, Gustavus Adolphus (Pitcher); Jake Hillard, Penn State Altoona (Rookie)
• Week ending May 9: Adam Zebrowski, St. John Fisher (Hitter); James Palmer, Wisconsin-Stout (Pitcher); James Murphy, Adam Zebrowski (Rookie)
2021 NCBWA Division III Players of the Month:
• February: Ty Morgan, Louisiana College (Hitter); Brett Sanchez, Belhaven (Pitcher); Levi Cloud, Berry (Rookie)