DALLAS (NCBWA) – Mitchell College put on an offensive
clinic last week with 107 runs over six New England Collegiate Conference
contests, and the Mariners have claimed the week eight National
Collegiate Baseball Writers Association NCAA Div. III Hitter and
Rookie of the Week honors, while a program's first no-hitter since
2000 garnered this week's Pitcher of the Week award. This week's
honorees were recognized for performances spanning April 12-18.
Hitter of the Week: Mitchell junior outfielder
Dougie DelaCruz batted .571 with three doubles, three homers, and
a team-high 20 RBI over six conference games last week. DelaCruz,
who helped the Mariners to a 5-1 ledger, hit safely and knocked
in runs in all six games. He hit a grand slam and finished with
seven RBI in a 16-3 win over New England College, in what marked
the Pilgrims' first league loss. DelaCruz then went 9-for-15 with
two doubles, two homers, 12 RBI, and nine runs scored in a four-game
set against Lesley University.
Honorable Mention Hitter: Cael Chatham, So.,
INF, LaGrange College – Chatham went 9-for-13 (.692) with a .688
on-base percentage and a 1.231 slugging percentage last week with
five runs scored, 13 RBI, one double, two home runs, and two walks.
The Panthers swept a three-game series from USA South Athletic Conference
rival Maryville College. In the final game of the series, Chatham
was 3-for-3 with two runs scored, six RBI, one homer, and one walk.
Pitcher of the Week: DePauw University freshman
Michael Vallone pitched the Tigers' first no-hitter since 2000 and
the first complete-game no-hitter of at least seven innings since
1980. Vallone struck out eight and faced the minimum 21 batters
in an 8-0 victory over Wittenberg University on April 14. Vallone's
lone blemish was a hit batsman in the third inning, but the next
Wittenberg batter grounded into an inning-ending double play.
Honorable Mention Pitcher: Nathan Hemmerling,
So., Lakeland University – Threw a complete-game, one-hit shutout
with 10 strikeouts in Lakeland University's 5-0 nine-inning win
at Edgewood College on April 12. Hemmerling pitched 11 innings over
two outings last week. He struck out 12 and allowed just one earned
run in helping his team climb to first in the Northern Athletics
Collegiate Conference North Division.
Rookie of the Week: Mitchell freshman outfielder
Owen Robbins batted .500 with a double and two grand slams over
five NECC games last week. The long balls both came against Lesley
in a weekend series. Robbins' first grand slam came in Saturday's
second game, and he finished with a season-high five RBI. Robbins
duplicated the feat less than 24 hours later, clearing the bases
with his second round-tripper of the season in Sunday's opener.
He slugged 1.375 for the week and finished with 10 RBI.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Dick Howser Player
of the Year Award, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America
voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2021 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• Week ending March 7: Caleb Durbin, Washington U. (Hitter); Patrick O'Rourke, Berry (Pitcher); Amani Jones, Stevenson (Rookie)
• Week ending March 14: Philip Mahlik, Kean (Hitter); Ryan Behling, North Central (Pitcher); Jacob Cyrus, Illinois Wesleyan (Rookie)
• Week ending March 21: Dane Pedersen, Louisiana College (Hitter); Thomas Gallant, Mount Union (Pitcher); Nolan Sparks, Rochester (Rookie)
• Week ending March 28: Jack Hollinshead, Wittenberg (Hitter); Sam Westermeyer, St. Olaf (Pitcher); Cam Seymour, Southern Maine (Rookie)
• Week ending April 4: Catcher Cumming, Penn State Altoona (Hitter); Chris Chiriboga, St. Thomas (Pitcher); Jake Freed, Oberlin (Rookie)
• Week ending April 11: Adam Zebrowski, St. John Fisher (Hitter); Nolan Rowan, Kean (Pitcher); Amani Jones, Stevenson (Rookie)
• Week ending April 18: Dougie DelaCruz, Mitchell (Hitter); Michael Vallone, DePauw (Pitcher); Owen Robbins, Mitchell (Rookie)
• Week ending April 25: Daniel Coleman, SUNY-Cortland (Hitter); Brock Weirather, Grinnell (Pitcher); James Ward Jr., St. John Fisher (Rookie)
• Week ending May 2: Jake Reinhardt, North Park (Hitter); Weston Lombard, Gustavus Adolphus (Pitcher); Jake Hillard, Penn State Altoona (Rookie)
• Week ending May 9: Adam Zebrowski, St. John Fisher (Hitter); James Palmer, Wisconsin-Stout (Pitcher); James Murphy, Adam Zebrowski (Rookie)
2021 NCBWA Division III Players of the Month:
• February: Ty Morgan, Louisiana College (Hitter); Brett Sanchez, Belhaven (Pitcher); Levi Cloud, Berry (Rookie)