DALLAS (NCBWA) – A near-1.000 average
and a two-hitter took home the top honors for the final 2019 National
Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Div. III Weekly Awards,
while a 7-for-11 performance at a conference tournament was the
top outing of the week by a rookie. This week’s honorees were selected
for games played April 29-May 5.
Hitter of the Week: Sophomore infielder Eric
Devore slashed .889/.900/1.222 as Heidelberg University wound down
the regular season last week. Devore smacked eight hits, including
three doubles, in nine at-bats, and accounted for five RBI and five
runs scored. Needing to sweep Capital University to claim a share
of the Ohio Athletic Conference regular-season title, Devore came
up big to spark an offense that produced 30 runs in Sunday’s twin
bill. In game one, Devore was a perfect 5-for-5 from the dish with
two doubles and three RBI. In game two, he went 1-for-2, walked
once, and knocked in two more runs.
Honorable Mention Hitter: Brennan Schmitt, Jr.,
3B, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse - Hit .536 (15-of-28) in eight
starts during the week, while recording six doubles, two home runs,
and 12 RBI. Schmitt finished the week with 27 total bases and six
straight multi-hit contests. He was 5-for-8 with two doubles, one
round-tripper, and three runs in a doubleheader against College
of St. Scholastica on May 1. He then finished 10-for-15 in a four-game
series against Finlandia University over the weekend. Against Finlandia,
Schmitt recorded five runs, six RBI, four doubles, and a home run.
Pitcher of the Week: Washington University in
St. Louis sophomore Ryan Loutos helped his team complete a doubleheader
sweep over Knox College with a two-hit shutout on Saturday. The
right-hander finished with 14 strikeouts and didn’t issue any walks
in his nine innings of work. The 14 strikeouts are the second-most
in an outing by Loutos.
Honorable Mention Pitcher: Brice Swick, Jr.,
Ripon College – Did not allow an earned run in 10 innings last week.
Swick gave up five hits and struck out 16. He earned the win in
an 11-1 victory at Lawrence University that clinched a spot in the
Midwest Conference Tournament. In that game, Swick allowed five
hits, while tying a single-game school record with 15 strikeouts.
In his other appearance, Swick pitched a perfect ninth inning for
his first save of the season in a 3-1 win at 16th-ranked University
Rookie of the Week: Kobe Rogerson helped Husson
University capture the No. 1 seed for the North Athletic Conference
Tournament with two hits and five RBI in a pair of wins over the
University of Maine at Presque Isle. Then, Rogerson went on to string
together a 7-for-11 showing at the NAC Tournament. In total, Rogerson
helped the Eagles to a 5-0 week with nine hits, seven RBI, five
runs, and two walks. He was perfect in 21 total chances at second
base and was named to the all-tournament team.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Dick Howser Player
of the Year Award, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America
voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2019 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 24: Tre D'Amico, Frostburg State (Hitter); Keith Long, Texas-Tyler (Pitcher); Andrew Santobuono, Alfred State (Rookie)
• Week ending March 3: Deauton Delgado, Louisiana College (Hitter); David Hall, Belhaven (Pitcher); Casey Jones, St. Vincent College (Rookie)
• Week ending March 10: Davis Mikell, Castleton (Hitter); Jake Binder, Ithaca (Pitcher); Jacob Thompson, Oberlin (Rookie)
• Week ending March 17: Holden Bridge, Swarthmore (Hitter); Tyler Showers, Arcadia (Pitcher); Colton Lineman, Grove City (Rookie)
• Week ending March 24: Preston Ludwick, Centenary (Hitter); Brian Johnson, Springfield (Pitcher); Mason Sefcik, St. Norbert (Rookie)
• Week ending March 31: Chris DeGiacomo, Johns Hopkins (Hitter); Chris Atwood, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (Pitcher); Jacob Thompson, Oberlin (Rookie)
• Week ending April 7: Zack Smith, Salve Regina (Hitter); Worth Walrod, Suffolk (Pitcher); Nick Denove, Case Western Reserve (Rookie)
• Week ending April 14: Christian Jones, Catholic (Hitter); Shayne Audet, New England College (Pitcher); Dylan Fashempour, UMass-Boston (Rookie)
• Week ending April 21: Joey Stock, Saint John's, Minn. (Hitter); Connor Cook, Wisconsin-LaCrosse (Pitcher); Kyle Schaefer, Roger Williams (Rookie)
• Week ending April 28: Colin BeVard, Cortland (Hitter); Matt O’Sullivan, Wisconsin-Whitewater (Pitcher); Damen Castillo, Benedictine (Rookie)
• Week ending May 5: Eric Devore, Heidelberg (Hitter); Ryan Loutos Washington (Pitcher); Kobe Rogerson, Husson (Rookie)