DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate
Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division
II National Players of the Week awards for the week
ending on April 18. Saginaw Valley State freshman outfielder
Cole Brooks is the National Hitter of
the Week, while Augustana (S.D.) junior pitcher
Jason Blank is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Brooks (Bay City, Mich./John Glenn HS) had a stellar week for
the Cardinals in GLIAC action. He hit .567, going 17-for-30.
Brooks drilled five home runs, adding four doubles, a triple and
20 RBI. He had an on-base percentage of .667 and slugged 1.267.
The highlight of the week was his 4-4 effort against Tiffin on
Monday, including two home runs, a double and eight RBI.
Blank (Gretna, Neb./Gretna HS) threw his first career
no-hitter against Minnesota-Duluth and the eighth in Viking
history. He struck out nine over seven innings, allowing just
two walks. He earned his NSIC-best eighth win of the season,
which ties him for most wins in a season in Augustana history.
Blank still leads the NCAA with a perfect 0.00 ERA and has a
batting average against of just .146. He improved his
consecutive innings streak without an earned run to 43.1, while
earning NSIC Pitcher of the Week for the second time this season
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
• Atlantic: Jordan Clark, Concord (Hitter); Neil Dudley,
California, Pa. (Pitcher)
• Central: Trevor Rucker, Southern
Arkansas (Hitter); Jason Blank, Augustana (Pitcher)
John Kukura, Pace (Hitter); Nathanial Popiel, Dominican, N.Y.
• Midwest: Cole Brooks, Saginaw Valley State
(Hitter); Matt Iosue, Walsh (Pitcher)
• South: Nick Delgado,
West Alabama (Hitter); Hunter Mullis, Mississippi College
• South Central: Jerry Gallegos, Colorado Christian
(Hitter); Josh Keaton, Adams State (Pitcher)
Mike Warren, Armstrong Atlantic State (Hitter); Dylan Peppers,
North Georgia (Pitcher)
• West: Christopher Dalton, Central
Washington (Hitter); Garret King, California Baptist (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests./p>
2017 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 22: J.D. Osbourne, Tampa (Hitter); Donovan Armas, Lynn (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 1: Jake Walters, Quincy (Hitter); Thomas St. Clair, Lenoir-Rhyne (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 8: J.D. Osbourne, Tampa (Hitter); Trevor Abshire, Point Loma Nazarene (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 15: Adrian Tovalin, Azusa Pacific (Hitter); Joshua Payne, West Texas A&M (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 22: Andrew Webster, Barton (Hitter); Gus Varland, Concordia-St. Paul (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 29: Ryan Rogers, Lubbock Christian (Hitter); Garett King, California Baptist (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 4: Tyler Walters, Slippery Rock (Hitter); Steven Bower, North Georgia (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 11: Justin Graff-Rowe, Central Missouri (Hitter); Will Myers, Alabama-Huntsville (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 18: Cole Brooks, Saginaw Valley State (Hitter); Jason Blank, Augustana (S.D.) (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 25: Brian Parreira, USC Aiken (Hitter); John Holland, Felician (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 2: Blaine Crim, Mississippi College (Hitter); Parker Dyson, West Liberty (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 9: Chris Devery, Colorado State-Pueblo (Hitter); Sean Horner, Palm Beach Atlantic (Pitcher)