DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association released its weekly NCAA Division II
National Players of the Week awards of the season for the period
ending February 24. Alabama-Huntsville junior outfielder
Conner McCain is the National Hitter of the Week while
Millersville sophomore righthander Chris Murphy
is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Conner McCain (Gardendale, Ala.) is the third different UAH player
to claim laurels in the last four weeks, sparking the Chargers to
a 4-1 record versus in-region competition. The junior went 10-for-17
at the plate for a .588 average, while lacing two doubles, one triple,
one grand slam and 14 RBI en route to a 1.000 slugging percentage.
The Gardendale, AL native hit safely in four of the five games led
by a grand slam versus in-region, in-state rival Miles on Wednesday.
For the season, McCain is hitting .395 with 19 RBI. This is the
second honor in school history for Alabama-Huntsville as Ryan Griffin
was named NCBWA Pitcher of the Week in 2011.
Chris Murphy (Newark, Del.) struck out 13 and came within one
Millersville fielding error of a perfect game in his seven-inning
no-hitter against Glenville State. Murphy needed just 84 pitches--64
of which he threw for strikes--to buzz through the Glenville State
lineup. Murphy did not walk or hit a batter, and Glenville State
did not hit a single ball into the outfield. From the third inning
to the sixth inning, 10 of the 12 outs recorded were by strikeout.
Murphy improved to 3-0 in three career starts. He has a 1.80 ERA
and has struck out 27 batters in 20.0 innings of work this season.
This is the second honor in school history for Millersville as Mark
Royer was named NCBWA Pitcher of the Week in 2012.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
Pat Kregeloh, Shippensburg (Hitter); Chris Murphy, Millersville
• Central: Jonathan Finnegan, Arkansas Tech (Hitter);
Davis Ward, Ouachita Baptist (Pitcher)
• East: Andrew Pezzuto,
Southern New Hampshire (Hitter); John Massad, Southern New Hampshire
• Midwest: None
• South: Conner McCain, Alabama-Huntsville
(Hitter); Michael Manley, Delta State (Pitcher)
• South Central:
Luis Quinones, Eastern New Mexico (Hitter); Nick Hammett, Metro
• Southeast: Colby Painter, Lander (Hitter);
Alex Roberts, Newberry (Pitcher)
• West: Kyle Zozaya, Cal State
East Bay (Hitter); Sean Becker, Cal State East Bay (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2013 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
• Feb. 10: Lee Neumann, Angelo State (Hitter); Nick Fogarty, Valdosta State (Pitcher)
• Feb. 17: Josh Wenger, Concord (Hitter); Ryan Goodbrand, UC San Diego (Pitcher)
• Feb. 24: Connor McCain, Alabama-Huntsville (Hitter); Chris Murphy, Millersville (Pitcher)
• March 3: Dylan Tice, Indiana, Pa. (Hitter); Junior Mendez, Southern New Hampshire (Pitcher)
• March 10: Gioncarlo Brugnoni, Grand Valley State (Hitter); Shane Trattles, Mary (Pitcher)
• March 17: Kyle Giusti, Abilene Christian (Hitter); Chris Murphy, Millersville (Pitcher)
• March 24: Charlie Sharrer, Cal State-East Bay (Hitter); Scott Lieser, St. Cloud State (Pitcher)
• March 31: Colton Little, Colorado Mesa (Hitter); Dylan James, West Texas A&M (Pitcher)
• April 7: Nate Olinger, Colorado Mines (Hitter); Stephen Cooke, Indiana (Pa.) (Pitcher)
• April 14: Ryan Messina, Shepard (Hitter); Dallas Ponder, Texas A&M-Kingsville (Pitcher)
• April 21: Brady Capshaw, Southern Arkansas (Hitter); Robert Frank, St. Thomas Aquanis (Pitcher)
• April 28: Jacob Nelson, Metro State (Hitter); Collin Sherrod, St. Edward's (Pitcher)
• May 5: Zach Bricknell, Young Harris (Hitter); Brian Ernst, East Stroudsburg (Pitcher)