ST. LOUIS (USBWA) The U.S. Basketball Writers Association has selected South Dakota State's Mike Daum as its Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Feb. 19. The USBWA's weekly honor is presented by Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.
As The Summit League Player of the Week, Daum was nominated for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players of the week. This is the eighth season that the USBWA has selected a national player of the week.
Daum, a 6-9 sophomore forward from Kimball, Neb., scored an NCAA Division I season-high 51 points and pulled down 15 rebounds in a 97-89 win at Fort Wayne last Saturday. With that performance, he became just the second Division I player in last 20 seasons to score 50 and have 15 rebounds in a game. The 51-point performance is a school record and fourth-highest ever by any Summit League player.
He preceeded the 51-point outburst with 26 points and nine rebounds in an 81-67 victory over IUPUI last Wednesday. For the week, he averaged 38.5 points and 12.0 rebounds while shooting 96.6 percent (28-of-29) from the free throw line. Daum has now moved into the top 20 on South Dakota State's career scoring list with 1,261 points and is just four points shy of the school's single-season scoring record (747), held by Chris White.
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only one named after a former player.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in 1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers. With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Joe Mitch at 314-795-6821.
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, the most comprehensive college basketball publication in the world, returns for its 36th season. Blue Ribbon long-known as "The Bible of College Basketball" · gives its readers the most thorough, up-to-date and timely evaluations of every Division I team in the country. For more information about Blue Ribbon Yearbooks, visit blueribbonyearbookonline.com.
2016-17 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
Week ending Dec. 11: Josh Hart, Villanova (Big East Conference)
· Week ending Dec. 18: Malik Monk, Kentucky (Southeastern Conference)
· Week ending Dec. 25: Quentin Snider, Louisville (Atlantic Coast Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 1: Dillon Brooks, Oregon (Pac-12 Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 8: Ryan Taylor, Marshall (Conference USA)
· Week ending Jan. 15: Quincy McKnight, Sacred Heart (Northeast Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 22: Lauri Markkanen, Arizona (Pac-12 Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 29: Tim Cline, Richmond (Atlantic 10 Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 5: Jacob Wiley, Eastern Washington (Big Sky Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 12: Bonzie Coles, Notre Dame (Atlantic Coast Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 19: Mike Daum, South Dakota State (The Summitt League)
· Week ending Feb. 26: Elijah Bryant, BYU (West Coast Conference)