ST. LOUIS (USBWA) The U.S. Basketball Writers Association has selected Villanova guard Darrun Hilliard as its Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Feb. 15. The USBWA's weekly honor is presented by Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.
As the Big East Conference Player of the Week, Hilliard was nominated for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players of the week. This is the sixth season that the USBWA has selected a national player of the week.
Hilliard, a 6-6 senior from Bethlehem, Pa., nailed a game-winning 3-pointer with 1.5 seconds to play in a 68-65 win at No. 18 Butler on Saturday. The wnning bucket capped a great day for Hilliard, who finished with a career-high 31 points and eight rebounds while tying the school record for 3-point field goals made in a game.
Earlier in the week, Hilliard contributed 16 points to a 74-68 win at Providence to give him 23.5 points per game for the week.
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only one named after a former player.
At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the entire membership. The winner of the Oscar Robertson Trophy will be announced at the Devon Energy College Basketball Awards on April 14, at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City. The Henry Iba Coach of the Year Award and the Integris Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year Award will also be presented at the gala to be held annually following the NCAA Men's Final Four.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in 1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers. With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Joe Mitch at 314-795-6821.
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, the most comprehensive college basketball publication in the world, returns for its 34th season. Blue Ribbon long-known as "The Bible of College Basketball" · gives its readers the most thorough, up-to-date and timely evaluations of every Division I team in the country. For more information about Blue Ribbon Yearbooks, visit
2014-15 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
Week ending Dec. 7: Justin Anderson, Virginia (Atlantic Coast Conference)
· Week ending Dec. 14: Kyle Wiltjer, Gonzaga (West Coast Conference)
· Week ending Dec. 21: Troy Williams, Indiana (Big Ten Conference)
· Week ending Dec. 28: Christian Wood, UNLV (Mountain West Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 4: Tyler Harvey, Eastern Washington (Big Sky Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 11: Travis Trice, Michigan State (Big Ten Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 18: Jerome Hill, Gardner-Webb (Big South Conference)
· Week ending Jan. 25: D'Angelo Russell, Ohio State (Big Ten Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 1: Seth Tuttle, Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 8: Marcus Posley, St. Bonaventure (Atlantic 10 Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 15: Darrun Hilliard, Villanova (Big East Conference)
· Week ending Feb. 22: Kyle Wiltjer, Gonzaga (West Coast Conference)