1. Luke DeCock, Raleigh News & Observer: If LeVelle Moton were white, would he be an ACC coach?
From the judge: "This column does what good journalism is supposed to do. It shows, rather than tells. And what it shows is compelling."
2. John Feinstein, Washington Post: Replay is suffocating college basketball: 'We're damaging the game'
3. Harry Minium, ODUSports.com: ODU Men's Basketball Team Talked Honestly About Race and Grew Closer as a Result
4. Lindsay Schnell, USA TODAY: Is basketball necessary? For Maryland women's coach Brenda Frese and her family, there's no doubt
5. Lenn Robbins, TheNYextra.com: Thanks To Ewing, Hoya Saxa Means Something Again
GAME STORY/SPOT NEWS
1. Jesse Newell, The Kansas City Star: KU Jayhawks basketball vs. Texas Tech: Game analysis, 58-57
From the judge: "Seeing a game through Bill Self's eyes. Takes the story one step further than standard post game questions and answers for the reader."
2. Myron Medcalf, ESPN.com: Ohio State basketball player Seth Towns detained by police during George Floyd rally
3. John Feinstein, Washington Post: How do you lose to a team by 44 and then beat the same team the next day? Ask Army.
4. Mike Rodak, AL.com/Birmingham News: Alabama assistant raises more than $50,000 for family of Luke Ratliff
5. Mike Waters, Syracuse.com/The Post Standard: Syracuse goes from NCAA bubble to Sweet 16: 'This team just never gave up'
1. Brendan Quinn, The Athletic: Emoni Bates is an NBA inevitability. The path, his college decision, the control ... that's more complicated
From the judge: "A deep look at the complex life of Emoni Bates, a high school basketball story that reveals the levels and layering of the sport."
2. John Feinstein, Washington Post: John Thompson and I argued plenty, but few people have taught me more
3. Mike DeCourcy, The Sporting News: 'Literally, totally, just euphoric': An oral history of the only March Madness in 2020, and the day COVID stopped it
4. Craig Meyer, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: A college basketball season unlike any other — is it worth it?
5. Jeff Borzello, ESPN.com: Back-to-backs, post-pause defeats and the coaching gauntlet of college basketball's season of coronavirus
MODERATE LENGTH FEATURE
1. John Feinstein, Washington Post: Covid crushed VCU's NCAA tournament dreams. A month later, the pain hasn't gone away.
From the judge: "Feinstein tells the heart-breaking after-story of VCU basketball, disqualified from the tournament because of positive Covid tests."
2. Tyler Tachman, Inside the Hall: Armaan Franklin's enduring hero
3. Seth Davis, The Athletic: Basketball will miss Tom Konchalski. I will miss my friend
4. Ken Davis, KenDavisFiles.com: Ewing Enjoys New Version of Garden Party
5. CJ Moore, The Athletic: The remarkable rise of Jerome Tang to the head chair at No. 2 Baylor
MAGAZINE LENGTH FEATURE
1. Russell Steinberg, Mid-Major Madness: Carver College is trying to build a winner, even if you don't see it yet
2. CJ Moore, The Athletic: The legend of Creighton sharpshooter Mitch Ballock, in 24 acts
3. Austin Chastain, Central Michigan Life: Taking the stage: Former Chippewa guard makes TV debut on 'Chicago PD'
4. Brendan Quinn, The Athletic: 'I had never seen anything like him': Shaquille O'Neal's recruitment was from another time — inside an extraordinary arrival
5. David Hale, ESPN.com: The amazing journey and mission of BYU's Gideon George