About the FWAA
Please note that membership in the FWAA is open only to accredited members of the media and other organizations affiliated with college football. All applications are subject to the approval of the association's board of directors. If you have a question regarding membership, please contact Executive Director Steve Richardson at email@example.com or 214-870-6516.
Founded in 1941, the Football Writers Association of America consists of the men and women across North America who cover college football for a living.
The membership includes journalists, broadcasters and publicists, as well as key executives in all the areas that involve the game. The FWAA works to govern areas that include game day operations, major awards and an All-America team.
Through its website, the FWAA works to improve communication among all those who work within the game. The FWAA also sponsors scholarships for aspiring writers and an annual writing contest.
Behind the leadership of President David Ubben and Executive Director Steve Richardson and a board of veteran journalists, the FWAA continues grow and work to help college football prosper at all levels. There are now over 1,200 members.
Benefits of FWAA membership include:
- Travel discounts from Hertz rental cars (with the corporate discount program code).
- A complimnetary subscription to 247Sports.com, the leader in online recruiting coverage.
- The Membership Directory. The most complete college football media directory, which connects you with other writers and sports information directors. A membership card is included in the mailing in late August.
- Access to the secured website, www.footballwriters.com, which also connects members with most of the college football world.
- A nomination for the 25-man FWAA All-America Team, Outland Trophy, and Bronko Nagurski Trophy and a vote for Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award.
- The FWAA blog, "The Fifth Down," on line.
- Participation in the FWAA Writing Contest with cash prizes and awards.
- Eligibility for a son or daughter to win the Volney Meece Scholarship (which is renewable four-year scholarship award).
- Eligibility for the FWAA Hall of Fame, which includes the past winners of the Bert McGrane Award. The award is named after the long-time FWAA secretary and is awarded each year to a member who has made outstanding contributions to the organization.
- Annual FWAA Meeting (in conjunction with the College Football Playoff National Championship Game).