DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association (NCBWA) released its National Player
of the Week awards for the period ending March 4. Kentucky senior
infielder/outfielder Luke Heyer was named
National Hitter of the Week, while Omaha senior
right-handed pitcher Payton Kinney was named
National Pitcher of the Week.
The NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference
each week and names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Heyer was named the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic
Most Outstanding Player after he hit .727 with a 1.727 slugging
percentage (five runs, six RBI, two doubles, three home runs). For
the week, the Lithia, Fla., native batted .667 (10-of-15) in four
games with six runs, six RBI, two doubles (one a ground rule double)
and three home runs. Heyer recorded the game-winning RBI in wins
over #19 Houston and #20 Sam Houston State.
Kinney tossed a no-hitter in Omaha's 4-0 shutout of Ohio on Sunday.
The Firth, Neb., native was dominant all day, striking out nine
to pick up his first win of the season with the complete-game effort.
The no-no is the second in Omaha's Division I era and its first
since the Maverick staff combined for one on Feb. 21, 2015 vs. Chicago
State, also staged at Perfect Game Park.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit
the association's official Web site,
For more information on the NCBWA Division I National Players
of the Week, contact NCBWA Assistant Executive Director
at West Virginia University at 304-293-2821.
2018 NCBWA Division I Players of the Week:
• Feb. 20: Jake Brodt, Santa Clara (Hitter); Nick Sandlin, Southern Miss (Pitcher)
• Feb. 27: Brett Kinneman, N.C. State (Hitter); Joe DeMers, Washington (Pitcher)
• March 6: Luke Heyer, Kentucky (Hitter); Payton Kinney, Omaha (Pitcher)
• March 13: Jacob Rhinesmith, Western Kentucky (Hitter); Casey Mize, Auburn (Pitcher)
• March 20: Joe Genord, USF (Hitter); Griffin Roberts, Wake Forest (Pitcher)
• March 27: Bren Spillane, Illinois (Hitter); Jake Lee, Oakland (Pitcher)
• April 3: Jon Littell, Oklahoma State (Hitter); Colton Eastman, Cal State Fullerton (Pitcher)
• April 10: Connor Pauly, Morehead State (Hitter); Scotty Sunitsch, Washington State (Pitcher)
• April 17: Ross Haffey, Miami, Ohio (Hitter); Noah Zavolas, Harvard (Pitcher)
• April 24: Josh Jung, Texas Tech and Steven Wells, Florida State (Hitter); Connor Van Hoose, Bucknell (Pitcher)
• May 1: Alex Holderbach, Eastern Kentucky (Hitter); Barrett Loseke, Arkansas (Pitcher)
• May 8: Adam Sasser, Georgia (Hitter); Haylen Green, TCU (Pitcher)
• May 15: Will Wilson, N.C. State (Hitter); Luke Heimlich, Oregon State (Pitcher)
• May 22: Will Holland, Auburn (Hitter); Sam Shutes, Toledo (Pitcher)
2018 NCBWA Division I Players of the Month:
• February: Brett Kinneman, N.C. State (Player); Brady Feigl, Ole Miss (Pitcher)
• March: Seth Beer, Clemson (Player); Casey Mize, Auburn (Pitcher)
• April: Alex Holderbach, Eastern Kentucky (Player); Connor Thomas, Georgia Tech (Pitcher)
• May: Cal Raleigh, Florida State (Player); Logan Gilbert, Stetson (Pitcher)