FWAA Bronko Nagurski Trophy
The Football Writers Association of America has chosen a National Defensive Player of the Year since 1993. In 1995, the FWAA named the award in honor of the legendary two-way player from the University of Minnesota. Bronislaw "Bronko" Nagurski dominated college football then became a star for professional football's Chicago Bears in the 1930s.
The FWAA All-America Committee, after voting input from the association's entire membership, selects a 26-man All-America Team and eventually the Bronko Nagurski Trophy finalists. The committee members then select the winner as the best defensive player in college football.
Each Tuesday during the regular season, the FWAA has selected a Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week since 2001.
Finalists for the 2021 trophy will be announced on Nov. 17 and the winner will be unveiled on Dec. 6 at the Bronko Nagurski Awards Banquet presented by LendingTree in Chalotte, N.C.
2021 Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Players of the Week
• Weekend of Sept. 4: Jordan Davis, DE, Georgia
• Weekend of Sept. 11: Verone McKinley III, S, Oregon
• Weekend of Sept. 18: Jared Bartlett, DE, West Virginia
• Weekend of Sept. 25: Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa
• Bronko Nagurski Trophy (All-Time Winners, Finalists and Players of the Week)
• Download the Bronko Nagurski Trophy presented by LendingTree logo: Primary (.jpg) | Primary (.eps)
• Tulsa's Collins wins 2020 Bronko Nagurski Trophy (12.23.20)
• 2020 Bronko Nagurski Trophy finalists unveiled (12.9.20)
• 2020 Bronko Nagurski Awards Banquet cancelled (11.2.20)
• Ohio State's Young wins 2019 Bronko Nagurski Trophy (12.9.19)
• FWAA unveils 2019 Bronko Nagurski Trophy finalists (11.20.19)