ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – Derrick White of
Colorado-Colorado Springs and Nettie Blake of Gannon University (Erie, Pa.) were named the U.S. Basketball Writers Association
Division II National Players of the Week for the week ending
White, a 6-5 junior guard from Parker, Colo., shot 77 percent
(17-for-22) from the field and 94 percent (30-for-32) from the free
throw line for the week to earn his second USBWA national player
of the week honor this season. He posted a 38-point, 11-assist double-double
– his second points-assists double-double of the season – in the
103-91 win over Western New Mexico, hitting 11-of-15 from the field,
including two-of-five three-pointers, and 14-of-15 free throws.
He added 28 points by sinking six-of-seven from the field and 16-of-17
free throws in the win over New Mexico Highlands, which helped the
Mountain Lions remain tied for first place in the RMAC standings.
White has scored at least 25 points in the last five games and
is leading the RMAC with 26.3 points per game. His 552 total points
for the season are first in NCAA Division II and third in UCCS records.
With an average of 26.3 points per game, second best in Division
II, White is on a pace to break the UCCS program scoring average
record by more than four points per game.
Blake, a 6-1 senior center from Jersey City, N.J., was named
the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Player of the Week after
averaging 19 points and 19.5 rebounds per game as the Lady Knights
swept Slippery Rock and rival Mercyhurst last week.
Blake recorded 19 points and 16 rebounds in Gannon's 72-50 win
over Slippery Rock last Wednesday, while also tying a season-high
with three steals and going 7-of-8 from the foul line. She then
recorded her eighth double-double of the season with 19 points and
23 rebounds in the Lady Knights' 59-49 win over Mercyhurst on Saturday.
Her 23 rebounds were one shy of Gannon's school record and ranks
within the top 10 rebounding performances in Division II this season.
The Lady Knights are 15-4 overall, including 14-2 in the PSAC.
Each Tuesday, the USBWA is selecting men's and women's Division
II National Players of the Week. This is the first season that the
USBWA will recognize national players of the week from Division
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was
formed in 1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter
Byers. With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America
team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Joe Mitch at
2014-15 USBWA Division II National Players of the Week
• Week ending Dec. 7: Derrick White, Colorado-Colorado Springs and Sarah Nelson, Dominican
• Week ending Dec. 14: Tyler Kelly, Florida Southern and Abby Kirchoff, Colorado-Colorado Springs
• Week ending Jan. 4: Eric Anderson, New Haven and Shareta Brown, Wayne State
• Week ending Jan. 11: Gerald Beverly, Daemen College and Natalie Piaggesi, Mercyhurst
• Week ending Jan. 18: Joe Lawson, Indianapolis and Morgan Pullins, St. Mary's (Texas)
• Week ending Jan. 25: Alex Herrera, Fort Lewis College and Taylor Beverly, West Georgia
• Week ending Feb. 1: Derrick White, Colorado-Colorado Springs and Nettie Blake, Gannon University
• Week ending Feb. 8: Darian Hooker, NYIT and Shareta Brown, Wayne State
• Week ending Feb. 15: Garret Kerr, University of the Sciences and Schontiquah White, West Texas A&M
• Week ending Feb. 22: Nick Harney, Fairmont State and Amy Philamlee, Union (Tenn.)