DALLAS (NCBWA) – Institutions from the North Eastern
Athletic Conference and the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic
Conference gained National Collegiate Baseball Writers
Association Division III accolades for games played March 12-18.
Hitter of the Week: Junior outfielder Will
Welsh of Lancaster Bible gave the Chargers plenty of offensive
fuel to spark a 6-0 week. The Lancaster, Pa., native went
11-of-17 at the dish (.647) which included four home runs, 14
runs scored and 18 RBI. He drove in at least two runs in every
game of a South Carolina trip.
Honorable Mention Hitter: Jon Pressley, So.,
3B, U.S. Coast Guard Academy - Was on fire last week as he hit
.846 going 11 for 13 at the plate leading the Bears to a perfect
3-0 record in Ft. Myers. He was five for six including a
three-run triple in the ninth to tie the game against Wilmington
before scoring the winning run in a 15-14 win. He had a double,
triple, homer and eight RBI with five runs scored and a 1.308
slugging percentage in the three wins last week. He was also
four for four in a 7-5 win over Gallaudet, and, in the final
game of the week, the sophomore was two for three and hit his
first career homer and drove in three runs.
Pitcher of the Week: Junior Colin Coffey of
Luther College put a no-no together over nine innings against
Northland College March 17. He retired the first 18 batters he
faced before issuing a lead-off walk in the bottom of the 8th.
Coffey struck out 13 of the 29 batters he faced.
Honorable Mention Pitcher: Nick Roberti,
Jr., Washington College - Twirled the 15th no-hitter in
Conference history in the Shoremen's 13-0 victory against
Bethany. He struck out four batters and did not allow a free
pass, retiring the final 13 Bison hitters.
Rookie of the Week: The week's no-hit theme on the
mound continued, as Cazenovia College starter Isaiah Ausby did
the same to UMaine-Farmington March 13. The Endicott, N.Y.,
native completed a seven-inning masterpiece in his first
collegiate start that enabled the Wildcats to upend their
opponents 5-0. Allowed just one walk and struck out seven.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters, and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Dick Howser Player
of the Year Award, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America
voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2018 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 25: Josh Belarde, Iowa Wesleyan (Hitter); Jimi Keating, Spalding (Pitcher); Tristen Luck, Methodist (Rookie)
• Week ending March 4: Ben Sexton, Emory and Henry (Hitter); Patrick Maybach, Salve Regina (Pitcher); James Green, St. Mary's (Minn.) (Rookie)
• Week ending March 11: Carson Cox, Concordia (Hitter); Greg Schneider, Frostburg State (Pitcher); Justin Provost, Rowan (Minn.) (Rookie)
• Week ending March 18: Will Welsh, Lancaster Bible (Hitter); Colin Coffey, Luther (Pitcher); Isaiah Ausby, Cazenovia College (Rookie)
• Week ending March 25 Dakota Bryden, Wisconsin-Whitewater (Hitter); Ryan Miller, Benedictine (Pitcher); Shayne Audet, New England College (Rookie)
• Week ending April 1: Tommy Epsaro, DeSales (Hitter); Charlie Ruegger, Stevens Tech (Pitcher); Jack Layrisson, LaGrange (Rookie)
• Week ending April 8: Chris Fowler, UMass-Boston (Hitter); Matt D'Ambrosia, Muhlenberg (Pitcher); Joel Pierce, Wheaton, Ill. (Rookie)
• Week ending April 15: Austin Parent, Pitt-Bradford (Hitter); Jack Herzing, Penn State-Behrend (Pitcher); Jack Koch, Union College (Rookie)
• Week ending April 22: Coleman Hendershot, NYU (Hitter); Ryan Orr, Kalamazoo College (Pitcher); Jack Koch, Union College (Rookie)
• Week ending April 29: John Arancio, Southern Vermont College (Hitter); Cam Graham, Husson University (Pitcher); Austin Fox, Ripon College (Rookie)
• Week ending May 6: Cameron Upton, Gallaudet (Hitter); Tyler Peck, Chapman (Pitcher); Kellen Mitchell, Dubuque (Rookie)