DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National
Players of the Week awards for the week ending on March
15. Saint Leo University junior first baseman Troy Sieber
is the National Hitter of the Week, while Maryville
senior pitcher Robbie Gordon is the National
Pitcher of the Week.
In a five-game slate last week, Sieber (Salem, N.J.) batted .737,
had an on base percentage of .800, slugged 1.474, and extended his
consecutive hit streak to 16-games to earn SSC Player of the Week.
In non-conference play, the Salem, New Jersey native went 3-for-3
at the plate with four RBIs against Mansfield and 4-for-4 with three
RBI's against Upper Iowa. During a three-game series against No.
1 Tampa, Sieber batted 7-for-12 with four RBIs and three runs scored.
His top game against the Spartans was the final game of the series.
Sieber drove in three runs off two hits and two walks in a losing
effort. For the week, Sieber batted 14-for-19, recorded 11 RBIs,
scored eight times, drew six walks, hit three home runs, and stole
two bases. Seven of Sieber's 14 hits were for extra bases. He now
ranks fifth in the Sunshine State Conference in batting, and is
the SSC leader in slugging percentage. The Lions are 12-10 overall,
0-3 in SSC play.
Gordon (St. Louis, Mo.) threw the first perfect game in school
history on Sunday as the Saints defeated Hillsdale College 2-0.
He faced 21 batters over seven innings and retired them all to help
Maryville snap Hillsdale's nine-game winning streak. Gordon finished
with nine strikeouts, seven ground outs and five fly outs. He had
at least one strikeout in each of the first six innings. The Saints
have won all four of the games in which he has appeared this season.
Gordon's perfect game is the first in NCAA Division II this season.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
Atlantic: Matt Malacane, Seton Hill (Hitter); Colin McKee, Mercyhurst
• Central: Cody Begovich, Emporia State (Hitter); Payton
Walker, Missouri Southern (Pitcher)
• East: Eric Schneider, Stonehill
(Hitter); Jake DiCarli, LIU-Post (Pitcher)
• Midwest: Lee Sonseller,
Ohio Dominican (Hitter); Robbie Gordon, Maryville (Pitcher)
South: Troy Sieber, Saint Leo (Hitter); Cody Mitchell, Valdosta
• South Central: Jordan Godman, Colorado State-Pueblo
(Hitter); JR McDermott, Colorado Mesa (Pitcher)
Mike McClellan, Columbus State (Hitter); Placido Torres, Tusculum
• West: Brady Conlan, Cal State-Dominguez Hills (Hitter);
Isaiah Terrazas, Concordia-Irvine (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2016 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 16: Brett Wilhelm, Lubbock Christian (Hitter); Brooks Trujillo, West Texas A&M (Pitcher)
• Week ending Feb. 23: Andrew Vogelbaugh, Pittsburg State (Hitter); Guillaume Blanchette, Lubbock Christian (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 1: Blaise Warrick, Arkansas-Fort Smith (Hitter); Ben Criscuolo, Southern New Hampshire (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 8: Matt Piatt, Tampa (Hitter); Mark Delas, Findlay (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 15: Troy Sieber, St. Leo University (Hitter); Robbie Gordon, Maryville (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 22: Dylan Cook, Georgia College (Hitter); Logan Johnson, Fairmont State (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 29: Chance Bowden, Catawba (Hitter); Greg Stagani, West Liberty (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 5: Zach Hoffmann, St. Cloud State (Hitter); Placido Torres, Tusculum (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 12: Reese Gregory, St. Cloud State (Hitter); Tanner Herdt, Colorado Mesa (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 19: J.P Sorma, Ashland (Hitter); Mason Mayberry, Findlay (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 26: Alex Wojciechowski, Minnesota-Duluth (Hitter); Alex Kelley, Francis Marion (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 3: Aaron Krier, Wayne State (Hitter); Nikko Pablo, Northwest Missouri State (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 10: Cale Giddings, Lake Erie (Hitter); Colin Gossard, Findlay (Pitcher)