DALLAS (NCBWA) – An .875 batting average and a nearly-perfect,
nine-strikeout pitching effort led Concordia University of Minnesota's
Nick Bornhauser and Kenyon College's Paul Henshaw to the
Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Division III Player of the
Week honors for the period of March 2-8.
Bornhauser, a senior first baseman from Northfield, Minn., continued
his red-hot start to the 2015 season with two more incredible games
at the plate. Besides hitting the aforementioned .875 (seven-of-eight),
the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Hitter of the
Week accumulated an .899 on-base percentage and a 1.625 slugging
percentage, as he racked up seven hits, five RBI, four doubles,
four runs and a triple in just two games. Bornhauser tarted the
week with a perfect three-for-three performance at the plate in
a 10-8 loss to MIAC foe Saint Mary's. The Cobber senior had three
RBIs, two runs and two doubles in the loss. The next day, he went
four-for-five with two RBIs, two runs, two doubles and a triple
to lead his team to a 12-9 win over Rose-Hulman. For the week, he
was four-for-four with runners in scoring position, 6-for-6 with
runners on base and 3-for-3 with two outs.
Henshaw, a junior right-handed starting pitcher from Briarcliff
Manor, N.Y., fired a no-hitter in the Lords' 7-0 victory over Westminster
on March 8. He nearly tossed a perfect game in the victory as he
struck out nine and allowed just one base runner on an error in
the sixth inning. Prior to the no-hitter, he tossed a little over
six innings of work to earn the victory in an 8-3 win over Wilkes
on March 2. In 13.1 innings on the week, Henshaw allowed just three
earned runs, struck out 13 and yielded just one walk, while holding
opposing hitters to a miniscule .146 batting average in route to
North Coast Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week honors.
Honorable Mention Hitter: Jono Haught, Mary Washington:
Led the Eagles to a perfect 4-0 week in Myrtle Beach, going 9-of-16
(.563) at the plate with two doubles, one triple, and three home
runs. Haught drove in nine runs for the week and scored six times.
In addition, he walked once and didn't strike out in 18 plate appearances.
His OPS for the week was an astounding 1.986.
Honorable Mention Pitchers: Tyler Findlay, Aurora (Ill.):
Was 2-0 in two starts on the week while registering a 0.00 earned
run average. The junior hurler allowed just one run – which was
unearned – in 13.0 innings pitched, while striking out 13 and giving
up 10 hits.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2015 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• Feb. 22: Connor Savage, Puget Sound (Hitter); Clayton Freimuth, Frostburg State (Pitcher)
• March 8: Nick Bornhauser, Concordia (Hitter); Paul Henshaw, Kenyon (Pitcher)
• March 15: Neal Krentz, Case Western Reserve (Hitter); Brandon Smalling, Earlham (Pitcher)
• March 22: Jordan Nieman, Manchester (Hitter); Eric Morell, LaGrange (Pitcher)
• March 29: Chase Burrow, Mary Hardin-Baylor (Hitter); Connor Alberhasky, Coe and Cason Adams, Texas-Tyler (Pitcher)
• April 5: Donovan Pogue, Thomas More (Hitter); Nate Burns, Lancaster Bible (Pitcher)
• April 12: Walker Breard, Cornell College (Hitter); Tyler Krolikowski, College of Mt. St. Vincent's (Pitcher)
• April 19: Ban Sawyer, Alvernia and Conrad Ziemendorf, Cortland (Hitter); Conner Johnson, Castleton State (Pitcher)
• April 26: Jeff Kammer, Webster (Hitter); Josh Outsen, St. Joseph's College (Pitcher)