DALLAS (NCBWA) – Six home runs and 17 RBIs on the week
for Michael Morelli of Mount Saint Mary College
and a 2-0 week with a no-hitter for Steven Ramsdell
of Allegheny College have earned them the fourth NCAA Division
III National Hitter and Pitcher of the Week honors respectively
for March 18-24, 2013, as voted on by a panel of D-III members of
the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.
Morelli, a senior first baseman from Washingtonville, N.Y., collected
14 hits in 21 at-bats for a .667 batting average during a 3-3 week
for the Knights, knocking in 17 runs and scoring 10 of his own.
He pounded out eight extra-base hits with two doubles and six home
runs, compiling 34 total bases and a 1.619 slugging percentage.
He also drew four walks for a .720 on base percentage. Highlighting
his week, he went 6-for-7 with four home runs in a doubleheader
at SUNY-Maritime on Mar. 24, and had seven RBIs in the Knights'
9-6 win over SUNY-New Paltz on Mar. 18. Morelli was named the Skyline
Conference Player of the Week.
Ramsdell, a sophomore southpaw from North East, Pa., dominated
for the Gators over spring break in Winter Haven, Fla., recording
two complete-game shutouts, one of them a no-hitter. On Monday,
he threw a four-hit 1-0 victory over Plattsburgh State, striking
out two and retiring 10 straight at one point. On Friday, he recorded
six strikeouts with one walk, retiring the first 12 hitters he faced,
en route to his six-inning no-hit effort in an 11-0 victory over
Hamilton. On the week, he struck out eight batters and allowed a
.093 opponents' batting average in 13 innings of work. Ramsdell
was named the North Coast Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week.
Honorable Mention Hitters: Hayden Tsutsui (Carleton) - .679 (19-28),
5 doubles, 3 home runs, 14 RBI, 9 runs, 2 stolen bases, 1.179 slugging
pct.; Bill Parave (Penn State-Abington) - .722 (13-18), 3 doubles,
8 RBI, 5 runs, 2 stolen bases, .889 slugging pct.; Quinlan Milen
Rojek (Dominican IL) - .800 (8-10), 1 double, 1 triple, 1 home run
(cycle), 6 RBI, 1.400 slugging pct.; Sean Kettering (Otterbein),
.481 (13-27), 5 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 17 RBI, 8 runs,
.963 slugging pct.; Chris Sweeney (King's PA) - .636 (7-11), 3 doubles,
2 home runs, 7 RBI, 5 runs, 1.454 slugging pct.; Jordan Nieman (Manchester)
- .563 (9-16), 3 doubles, 7 RBI, 2 runs, .750 slugging pct.; Christian
LaBlanc (Texas Lutheran) - .667 (8-12), 1 double, 3 RBI, 2 run,
4 stolen bases, .750 slugging pct.
Honorable Mention Pitchers: Dan LaRocca (Ramapo) - 2-0, 0.00
ERA, 18.0 ip, 2 cg, 6 hits, 10 strikeouts; Will Barrack (Massachusetts-Boston)
- 1-0, 2.57 ERA, 7.0 ip, 3 hits, 16 strikeouts; Brooks Fortenberry
(Mississippi College) - 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 7.0 ip, 1 cg, 1 hit, 10 strikeouts;
Seth Davis (Augustana) - 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 7.0 ip, 2 hits, 9 strikeouts;
Ryan Kramer (Dickinson) - 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 7.0 ip, 1 cg, 2 hits, 9
strikeouts; Bryce Murphy (Manchester) - 0-0, 3 saves, 0.00 ERA,
8.0 ip, 6 hits, 6 strikeouts; Daryn Streed (Rockford) - 1-0, 0.00
ERA, 8.0 ip, 3 hits, 7 strikeouts.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2013 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• March 3: Josh Rapacz, George Fox (Hitter); Nick Rossmiller, Thiel (Pitcher)
• March 10: Matt Sheneman, Neumann (Hitter); Zach Jones, McDaniel (Pitcher)
• March 17: Daniel Donohue, Salve Regina and Jake Mailman, Wentworth Institute of Technology (Hitter); Nick Rossmiller, Thiel (Pitcher)
• March 24: Michael Morelli, Mount Saint Mary (Hitter); Steven Ramsdell, Allegheny (Pitcher)
• March 31: Jonathan Mason, Bridgewater (Hitter); Phil Stakely, Trine (Pitcher)
• April 7: Brad Gugliotta, Baldwin Wallace and Daniel Paccione, Farmingdale State (Hitter); Trevor Lubking, Pacific Lutheran (Pitcher)
• April 14: Ronald Echavarria, SUNY-Purchase (Hitter); Ryan Jacobs, Penn State-Behrend (Pitcher)
• April 21: Matt Taliercio, Lancaster Bible (Hitter); Derek Slagle, Penn State-Harrisburg (Pitcher)
• April 28: Brian Mauro, DeSales (Hitter); Alex DiSanto, SUNY-Old Westbury (Pitcher)
• May 5: Ryan Hayes, Earlham (Hitter); Ryan Spengler, Saint John's (Pitcher)