CHICAGO (NBCWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers
Association (NCBWA) released its National Hitter and Pitcher of the
Week awards for the period ending May 4.
Stanford senior catcher Ryan Garko and Towson junior first baseman
Mike Costello have been named Co-National Hitters of the Week, while
Massachusetts freshman RHP Matt Torra was named National Pitcher
of the Week. The NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference
each week and names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Garko had a huge series in Stanford's three-game sweep at USC, going
10-for-13 (.769) with three home runs, 12 RBI and a 1.615 slugging percentage.
Garko added two doubles, six runs scored, 21 total bases, two walks, a sacrifice
fly and one stolen base in the series. He was 4-for-4 with two homers, his
first career grand slam, a career-high seven RBI and a stolen base in the
second game of a doubleheader on Sunday after going 2-for-3 with two RBI
in the first game. Garko finished the doubleheader 6-for-7 with two homers,
nine RBI and a stolen base. In Saturday's series opener, he was 4-for-6
with a double, homer and three RBI. In four games for the week, Garko hit
.588 (10-17) with three homers, 12 RBI, 21 total bases, a 1.235 slugging
percentage, two doubles, six runs scored, two walks, one sacrifice fly and
one stolen base.
Costello batted .542 with a double, six homers, 10 runs scored and 12
RBI as Towson went 6-1 last week. In the Tigers' 3-game CAA series sweep
of Drexel, Costello was 10-for-11 (.909) with five homers, nine runs scored
and 10 RBI. He was 4-for-4 with a homer and three RBI in the opener, 4-for-5
with two homers in three RBI in game two and 2-for-2 with two homers and
four RBI in Game 3. He also homered in a 6-3 win over Maryland earlier in
Torra earned a pair of complete game victories in Atlantic 10 play, including
a three-hit shutout on May 4 in the Minutemen's 1-0 win over St. Bonaventure.
He fanned six and did not walk a batter vs. SBU in nine innings of work.
Torra allowed two unearned runs and struck out nine in a 7-2 victory over
Temple on Apr. 28.
2003 NCBWA Players of the Week:
• Feb. 4: Ryan Baty, Kansas (Hitter); Jered Liebeck, Arizona State (Pitcher)
• Feb. 11: Jonny Kaplan, Tulane (Hitter); Wes Littleton, Cal State Fullerton (Pitcher)
• Feb. 18: Travis Metcalf, Kansas (Hitter); Sean Rierson, Arizona (Pitcher)
• Feb. 25: C.J. Smith, Florida (Hitter); Kyle Sleeth, Wake Forest (Pitcher)
• March 4: Jeff Cook, Southern Miss (Hitter); Alan Johnson, Mississippi State (Pitcher)
• March 11: Ronnie Prettyman, Cal State Fullerton (Hitter); Jeff Garner, Central Michigan (Pitcher)
• March 18: Anthony Raglani, George Washington (Hitter); Jarrett Gardner, Arkansas (Pitcher)
• March 25: Michael Aubrey, Tulane (Hitter); Tom Robbins, Southwest Texas (Pitcher)
• April 1: Ryan Braun, Miami, Fla. (Hitter); Matthew Luca, UNLV (Pitcher)
• April 8: Mike DeLorenzo, Saint Joseph's (Hitter); Wade Townsend, Rice and Dennis Bigley,
Oral Roberts (Pitcher)
• April 15: Matt Lauderdale, College of Charleston (Hitter); Scott Lewis, Ohio State and
Greg Prenger, Ohio State (Pitcher)
• April 22: Neil Sellers, Eastern Kentucky and Taylor Eckel, Toledo (Hitter); Glen Perkins, Minnesota (Pitcher)
• April 29: Jordan Foster, Lamar (Hitter); Stephen Head, Ole Miss (Pitcher)
• May 6: Ryan Garko, Stanford and Mike Costello, Towson (Hitter); Matt Torra, Massachusetts (Pitcher)
• May 13: Phil Rothkugel, Central Connecticut (Hitter); Jered Weaver, Long Beach State (Pitcher)